Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

CableIQ testresults

Status
Not open for further replies.

WizardOverhead

IS-IT--Management
Aug 23, 2013
Hallo,

After testing a number of CAT6 cables I got below error messages:

Lenght:
12 - 55,6
36 - ~42,5
45 - ~42,3
78 - 54,9
1000Base-T, Disqualified, Length (Termination fault)
100Base-TX, Disqualified, Length (Termination fault)
100Base-T, Disqualified, Length (Termination fault)
Voice Over IP, Disqualified, Length (Termination fault)

or

Lenght:
12 - 74,2
36 - 76,4
45 - 75,8,3
78 - 73,6
1000Base-T, Disqualified, Impedance fault
100Base-TX, Disqualified, Impedance fault
Voice Over IP, Disqualified, Impedance fault

What do these massages mean? Could it be that's somthing wrong with the cable?

Thaks in advance.

Have you considered consulting the owners manual or reference docs associated with the testing device? Seems this would get you the most accurate information.

As long as the length is within the 328 foot threshold, most errors occur from poor or improper terminations. I would make sure of this, first by re-terminating one of the failed test ones on both ends, then re-test.

Did just some of the cables tested show these faults or did all of them?

I'm with jrgood0852 on this one, most likely termination problems.

Thanks for the replies.
mforrence: I bought the CableIQ NEW without owners manual or references doc's. I also can't find anything on the internet.
jrgood0852: I will try it. But it's strange that i don't have problems with the wire maps.
wires: most (60%) of the cables shows these faults.

Another thing is make sure the cable, patch panel and jacks are the same category.

What results do you get with good name brandname factory terminated patch cables in various lengths - despite being "New", are there issues with the tester itself?

Have very good experiences with the CableIQ.
It may be that there is something wrong with the tester ... that's always a possibility. But other testresult afterwards indicate that's not the case.
I have a lot of patch cables so I'm going to test them all and see what results I get.

Just thinking more about the test results........termination fault is telling you to re-terminate and this also explains the impedence errors as the impedence will be affected by bad terminations. Easier to try one at the patch panel 1st, then re-test that one. Let us know. Thanks.

Okay jrgood0852, I'll try it first on the patch panel. But... what do you mean actually under bad termination? Dos it means that the wires do not make enough contact or that I did do anything wrong? Testresults of all wire maps are just fine.
I'll let you know asap what the result has become.
Thanks again everyone for all the ideas and suggestions so far.

NEXXT TYPE CM 23AWG 4PR 75[sup]o[/sup]C (UL) E318654-1 CSA LL79189 CMG 75[sup]o[/sup]C ETL VERIFIED to ANSI/TIA-568-C.2 CAT 6.

This is the standard cable we use (for years) and never really had problems with it.

The CableIQ manual is here.

I doubt it is a cable problem but instead is related to terminations. What jacks are you using?

The impedance fault error is many times related to substandard patch/jack parts. See page 56-57 and 76 for more info.

The only time I remember seeing termination fault on my CableIQ is when one wire wasn't connected, but then it failed wiremap.

I use Nexxt cables, jacks and patch panels. So far only good experiences.

As long as the hologram is on every box, good to go. CCA is Copper Clad Alumminum and a lot of this cable leaked out into the field.

I use Nexxt cables, jacks and patch panels. So far only good experiences."

Except possibly a 60% failure rate...

I have had good results with my CableIQ. It's test results have compared accurately with other testers I have crosschecked on installed jobs and in the shop. It has accurately spotted substandard patch cables, jacks and patch panels. I like it's speed over more $$ certification testers. If it is telling you there is something wrong there is likely something wrong.

The other possibility is that there is something wrong with your CableIQ tester. While this tester does not need factory calibration Fluke can do a performance test to be sure your unit is up to spec. If you lack the funds/time for this you need to figure out some way to compare results from your CableIQ with results from a known accurate certification tester.

Good luck!

Who actually punched down the jacks on the CAT6 cable? If the person that did it was not trained or had experience putting on jacks, you could have all kinds of issues with the IDCs. If the lead is not seated properly or there is a piece of surplus wire not cut clean from the contact, these kinds of examples can give the results of which you complain. Also any excessively bent cables, not following proper radius bends may cause some issues too, along with any snags or knots.

Hope this helps!
....JIM....

Another killer is too long of a service loop. Kills the distance and more cable to possibly get damaged/caught.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back