Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Cable unplugged errors on D-Link 624+

Status
Not open for further replies.

mike722

MIS
Sep 8, 2001
BR
Looking at this problem for a friend, will try to explain the situation properly.

Scenario:
Order of connections
PC
Dlink 624+ AP
Cable modem

The PC is using a fixed cat5 cable to connect to the DL 624.
When we try this at his house, every 20 or 30 sec, we get an "cable unplugged" error. Using ip config and ping we see that the connection is going up and down constantly. Remember this is using a fix CAT5 cable, no attempt at a wireless connection yet. (he will use this laptop later for that)

When we take all the equipment to my house, we set up everything the same and no such errors exist, everythig works perfectly, therefore we can rule out any of the equipment being faulty. Everything works fine at my house.

Now because this is a Wireless Device, does anyone think that some sort of strong interference exists at my friend house that is knocking out the DL 624 even through the fixed connection? Has anyone has this before? I thought that perhaps a neighbour may be using a wireless AP , but then I have read everywhere that this would only slow the connection , not knock out the Wireless AP..

Can anyone help,

thanks

MFD

Just to clarify, I;m not suggesting that the interference is effecting the cat5 cable directly, only taking down the wireless AP device that it is plugged into, therefore giving the "cable is unplugged" error,

MFD

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back