Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Cable TV Law Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

perrymans

IS-IT--Management
Nov 27, 2001
US
Does anyone know a site or reference which discusses a cable customers right to rebroadcast the CATB signal inside of their own house?

Thanks. Sean.

Thanks for the info Daron,

I was planning on putting a metal box but unfortunately as my cable provider prohibits splitting of the signal then the box would only have one wire in and one wire out, the box would be unnecessary. My signal is already splitted and I will hide the splitter somewhere less obvious. I cannot run any metal conduits in the attic (no attic), each floor is separated with ciment slabs(my whole house is tiled and has multiple floor) and every floor is finished so can't do much retrofitting without some major remodelling.

As for crimping, I have a crimping tool that squashes the ring around the wire making a omega(greek symbol) shaped crimp. I was thinking of getting a better tool but for the little job I'm going to do, it's not worth it. Since the incoming cable line is already grounded outside the building, do I also need to ground this cable. I'll also be installing a good surge protector with coax inputs since I'm going to have a cable modem connected to the cable and my equipment.

I'm going to shop around to see if I can get a better deal on the cable. I guess your prices are from the states, i'm in Canada, that would explain the difference.

Thanks
anthony

Your right the states laws sound alittle different on what you can and can't add. I would check with your local gov. the staement on your contract could be out dated. About your cable: the higher percentage of aluminum braid (I use a 95% rg6 from belden) the less signal loss you have and better containment of the signal. This might be something you can order over the WWW. good luck

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back