Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Cable testing requirements for small business 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

dgyde

MIS
Jun 4, 2002
US
I have done plenty of cable running (telcom/network), however in previous experience have only needed to do a wiremap to test when finished (small businesses in rural areas never required anything).
I have installed a 48 port patch panel (12 quads) for a small business in Franklin County (Columbus, OH). Do I only need to do a wiremap, or must I use a TDR and test for NEXT, etc?
I have previously just relied on a quality cabling install, and not really worried about NEXT, etc.. Typically, I'd do a wiremap, and never have any problems.
They'll probably only have a maximum of 8 network devices on their network.
Thanks in advance!

It depends on what the customer wants. If they want you to run cable and put connectors on the ends then you don't need to certify the cable runs. But some customers will want the cable installation certified to standards and a written report for thier records. The contract you have should spell out what it is you will provide.

So, the requirement is based on the customer. That is interesting.

Then the only requirements - building code based - are like Plenum in return air ceilings, and, for example, not run through same holes with electric cable, etc...

Thanks franklin97355!

- dgyde

It really depends on your abilities as a cable installer....

In my experience, PROPERLY installed cable will almost (99.99% of the time) always pass certification assuming that good quality products have been used.

Although we have scanners at the office,our techs only use them when a customer requires certification.

We would typically not bother in a small install unless the customer requests it. This obviously would affect our price,
considering the cost of the scanner, probes, re-calibration etc.

If you do not test your installation beyond wiremapping, you never get a quality check of your work, and you have no way of knowing if there are faulty components (bad jacks and bad cable don't always show up with a wiremap). Even of the manufacturer warranties the install with only a wiremap, I still like to scan at least 10-20%, especially in the longer runs. This gives a good sample and you get an idea of how close the install may be to performance and length limitations.

Yeah, every install that I have worked on, we have tested every single cable to make sure it runs in the standards. Sure the wire map is a quick way of checking to see if you hooked it up right on each-end, then 99% of the stuff on the network would have connectivity. But the question would be, would it work 100% right. I like to do a full test to make sure there isn’t a big dB loss and really bad NEXT. I hate to put a cable in and it have a big db lost to where it looks like the person is on a 14.4k modem when they have a T1 internet connection.

Some things to consider:
1 As a consultant, there is no way I will sign off (read: pay) a vendor for any work not fully tested. This is especially true for CAT6. It has been true for CAT5e. Of course CAT5 and lower are no longer compliant to Standards so don't bring the product to the Project.

2 If the system has been warrantied ("20 yr") by a manufacturer you are required to fully test and make sure the documentation is added to the site. If you are not certified by the manufacturer you will probably void any warranty on what you installed/touched.

3 I was not aware that modern testers that can do wire map reporting will not also do a full test automatically. It only takes a few seconds.

4 In these days of CYA, full testing and presentation of documentation is both useful and can be a sales tool.

5 If there is not a consultant involved or the Owner is naive, it is your responsibility (read: ethical) and opportunity (read: sales) to educate the Owner that his expensive (in his mind) installation will be compliant and the best value for his precious greenbacks.

6 Testing is the only way to know you or your staff are doing quality work. It is also the only way for your customers to know that you do quality work. How can they say you did a great job and promote your business if they don't have something other than electrons and ether to see and touch?

7 As an industry, cable folks should strive for the highest common denominator rather than the lowest. This is a real serious issue!

8 Look at the distributors' (Graybar & Anixter) certifications - there are some manufacturers who can't consistently hit the requirements and as a result aren't certified (set aside the politics of this issue). There is definite proof in the pudding of all manufacturers that every inch of cable and every I/O does not meet spec -- you never know until you test.

9 Especially for CAT6, it takes very little to bust a successful installation. That extra jerk on a stuck cable, that bind turned into a kink (even when "straightened" out) or that uncomfortable reach to terminate in a poorly lit TR or WA leaves you and the Owner at risk for failure.

10 Cable installation is one of many possible reasons for poor bottom line performance for the Owner -- it usually is their stuff -- test to remain profitable and your halo held high.

SrTechCon:
I was not aware that modern testers that can do wire map reporting will not also do a full test automatically. It only takes a few seconds. Many of the $100 to $500 testers will not do certification of cat5e/cat6 cable.

SrTechCon: "As an industry, cable folks should strive for the highest common denominator rather than the lowest. This is a real serious issue!"

I stand corrected on my earlier post where I said I like to scan 10-20%. I do that just to check on the work of my installers. For a fully certified installation, complete testing of every cable is required. At least one manufacturer (Avaya) will warranty the project with only wiremap provided the installer is Avaya certified.

"Look at the distributors' (Graybar & Anixter) certifications - there are some manufacturers who can't consistently hit the requirements and as a result aren't certified (set aside the politics of this issue). There is definite proof in the pudding of all manufacturers that every inch of cable and every I/O does not meet spec -- you never know until you test."

The manufacturers that make up the standards committees will adopt those standards only by unanimous decision, so the standards that do exist are the minimum specs that any one manufacturer thinks they can meet on a consistent basis. Some product still gets out the door that will not pass spec. In one shipment of 100 boxes of CAT6 cable, I found 3 boxes with over 200 feet that did not even have the jacket on it. Obviously we didn't have to do any testing to know it was sub standard.

Only by testing all performance parameters we can assure ourselves and the customer that we are getting what they pay for.

I agree 100% w/ SrTechCon,no ands,ifs or buts.....He defines it for (apples to apples) which elemenates the "bidding loopholes" and seperates companies who invest monies for their reputations vs those who work out of the trunk of their car

I have a simple yet unanswered question. Are there specific regulations regarding wiring for HealthCare related buildings? I'm working on a 45,000 sqft medical complex and the cable installer did nothing different than what I did in my home. This strikes me as odd. If there are rules or codes where the &&^$ are they? I've been looking for days!!

By the way, the installer ran all wiring: phone, network and CCTV into the only room they had...the main electrical room. All the cables come out about 5 feet from 2 floor mounted breaker boxes both the size of my jeep. This also strikes me as dangerous for correct operation. ?? Any ideas?

Any and all comments will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

James

Not knowing where you are I'm unable to specifically tell you what all applies. However, I suspect the National Electrical Code would apply, and quite likely the Specialty Code which covers many types of health care facilities and their specific requirements.

I'm willing to bet that in a 45,000 square foot facility there was probably another room that could be used instead of the electrical room. Old school thought was to put it all in the electrical room, after all it is electrical. As we increased speed on data and services got more complex, it was clear that being in the same room (same wall) with the high voltage was counter productive. That size of a facility certainly deserves an equipment room where the cables would be terminated.

The EIA/TIA standards for commercial buildings can give you all kind of information for size of room needed based on square footage, HVAC requirements, lighting requirements, entrance conduits, etc. However, unless adopted by the Authority Having Jurisdiction as law, the standards are only voluntary.

Often the owner needs to be 'taught' what is required for a quality installation. Often it is just a minimum bid installation and little care is given to quality.

Good Luck! It is only my opinion, based on my experience and education...I am always willing to learn, educate me!
Daron J. Wilson, RCDD
daron.wilson@lhmorris.com

cubla< There is always a concern in regards to electrical distribution equipment...based on ur explaination u r in the main switchgear room which should hse the transformers for stepping dwn the high voltage (4160v and up)high side dwn to the bldg operating voltages(208/120 or 480/277) the concerns are always the EMF(elecrto magnetic fields) generated from the transformers windings being induced onto the (copper)distribution...I worked 4 a healthcare system and realestate was always a premimum,70's circa designed bldgs housed floor riser closets w/ elec panels and telecom distribution (the voltage 208/120)being stepped dwn in the bsmt gear rooms.Moderan designed blgd risers, now place the xformer @ the floor closets requiring seperate closets 2 hse the telcom distribution(eliminating concerns 4 emf) not 2 mention the increase of hardware associated in the riser closets.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back