Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Cable Television and Cable Internet

Status
Not open for further replies.

iceman2654

Programmer
Jul 9, 2003
CA
Is it possible to have Cable Television and Cable Internet in the same room using the same jack? I have rogers high speed which is basically cable internet but I'm also thinking of getting a TV capture card...or something like the ViewSonic NextVision N5...

is it possible to split the connections or would that just mess everything up and slow it down?

Most cable companies use the same incoming cable to feed both Internet and Cable. You can sometimes request another cable for your Internet for better gain, but that's another debate on it's own. Still, even the new cable should have both feeds. They don't use the same frequency so they use the same cable. Most cable companies add filters to the line so that you can only get a few local channels on your Cable TV if your trying to scam them on getting free cable and Internet only.... but, you do like me and climb up the poll and pull it out.

"In space, nobody can hear you click..."

Theoretically, there should be no difference in speed or bandwidth using the same cable for both. At some point, the cable you use for your Broadband connection will travel along the same path as your channels. There's no point in worrying about isolating a single jack for just your internet connection.

~cdogg
[tab]"All paid jobs absorb and degrade the mind"
[tab][tab]- Aristotle
[stpatrick2] [navy]For general rules and guidelines to get better answers, click here:[/navy] faq219-2884

I currently have cable high speed internet and the cable is split at the wall. One goes to my cable/modem and the other to my video card. If you do split your cable, try to use a good quality one from your cable company. The splitters that they offer at Wal-Mart and ‘insert your local discount store’ are usually set at a wide frequency range and weaken the signal. You might not notice it if your cable company has enough signal coming to your area. If you live in an apartment or other close quarters, you probably will notice it more with your lower channels. I don't know if your internet speed will suffer or not, but I would speculate that it would.

Mike Cormier
May God bless everything you do...

STOP!!!

That's not a splitter....
It's a DC Tap.

There is an IN, an OUT and a TAP. The modem goes on the tap side. It filters all dc voltage off so your modem can see and hear better. There are also in-line taps if you want to use a regular splitter, but make GOOD connections and don't split it too far fom the network box.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back