Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Cable modem/router "one box" solution?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 27, 2001
US
I am looking for a single box solution of a cable modem and router instead of having to buy and configure two separate pieces of hardware. Does Linksys offer such a product? If not, does anyone else?

Thanks,
-Ron

I strongly recommend against this approach, just as I strongly recommend against "All-in-one" printer, fax, copier solutions.

You increase tremendously the odds that one of the componenets will fail dropping therefore both.

In addition, the best recommendation is to purchase each of these components individually, buy the best and most widely used component of each type in use today.

Six months, a year from now, more, when the individual compenents have received multiple firmware upgrades to stay current and repair problems, the all-in-one device has rarely seen an upgrade. The quantities sold dictate that they receive the least attention of all the devices in a manufacturer's catalogue.

Having finished my rant, the answer to your question is that most modem manufacturers produce a modem version that offers reasonable routing capabilities. You likely will need to purchase a switch to add additional connections, as they tend to be one port devices.

These can be quite good. Nearly every modem manufacturer will offer modem versions with routing, and they can save you money.

Ask your ISP what modem choices you have. Many provide the router capable modems as their standard selection. You can check the modem manufacturer's web site to check the features details.

Linksys has BEFCMUH4, a cable modem/router which has 4 ports available and a HPNA port on it. Nevertheless; I wouldn't recommend you using such modem/router because it would increase the chances of failure. I would recommend what your isp would be using on their connection network.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back