Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

cable modem and winXP 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

GUJUm0deL

Programmer
Jan 16, 2001
US
OK, I have winXP (professional) and an Earthlink cable modem (cable service provided from Time Warner Cable)...
The problem is, I still think my service is verrrry slow!! I called the company and they say their readings seem fine, but it takes me such a long time to dl files (it once took me 25 min. to dl a 2.5MB file, that's just nonsense!!)
I go to dslreports.com and speedguide.net to check my speed status and it shows that I have decent speed, but why can't I get it?? This isn't some times (in case anyone mentions that maybe alot of people are using the cable modem in my neighborhood or building), this is ALL the times...
My friend has a DSL modem and he dl's files much faster then I do...can anyone help?? How can I speed up my connection??
Thanks... I have not failed; I have merely found 100,000 different ways of not succeding...

zman32, i'm connected via a USB wire...I have a USB slot available in my PC...
luvmypt, its for the XP pro edition because this allows you to maintain your networks, and the XP home doesn't have the network feature... I have not failed; I have merely found 100,000 different ways of not succeding...

bluekelt do you know if win98 has some similar tweak like Xp pro does using the gpedit.msc??
PS -- from what I see your 'tweak' helped...:) You get a star... I have not failed; I have merely found 100,000 different ways of not succeding...

See to check connection speed. They also have a util to set your receive buffer size. I found when the recv. buffer is too small my cable modem speed goes way down. I get anywhere from 2500 to 3000+ Kbs with cable thru a network card.

As stated in previous posts, download speed is still dependant upon the site you are downloading from. There have been many complaints of very slow downloads of WinXP SP1, and I experienced this first hand.

Good luck!

I agree with zman32. You should install a decent NIC in your system and use the network connection instead of the USB port. I use a 10/100 Intel NIC and my download speeds are extremely fast.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back