Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Cable Modem and IP addresses

Status
Not open for further replies.

holein1

MIS
Oct 21, 2002
US
I have an external cable modem and a machine hooked up to that modem. I am able to access the internet and am hooked up properly. My machine is given a dynamic IP address. However I would like to be able to set up a firewall and allow access to this machine from other internet resources. Is this possible and if so how? Currently if I just try to locate my machine using the IP address from another machine I am unable to see it.

You will not be able to see your modem from the world because the ISP uses NAT to hide your IP address. You would need to set up a PtoP tunnel through your new fire wall to come in safely.
Once you set up a firewall you need to have a rule that translates the inside ip address to the ip address the outside world knows. One problem is IF your ISP changes your IP address you would have to change your Nat rule. Do you know how to set up a firewall? Richard Butler MCP A+
Network/Communications Engineer III
UIHC Telecommunication Services

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back