Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Cable modem and Cisco 1605 - it won't pass data!

Status
Not open for further replies.

modemhckr

Technical User
Mar 2, 2004
US
Hello,

I just recently picked up a Cisco 1605 to toy with, but I can't get it to pass data. From all the docs I've looked at, it seems to be configured correctly, yet it doesn't pass data, nor can I ping anything on the external interface. I will include a display of the sh run...

Current configuration:
!
version 12.0
no service pad
service timestamps debug uptime
service timestamps log uptime
service password-encryption
!
hostname *****
!
no logging console
enable secret 5 *****
enable password 7 *****
!
ip subnet-zero
no ip finger
ip name-server 204.****.228
ip name-server 204.****.203
!
!
!
interface Ethernet0
ip address 192.168.1.2 255.255.255.0
no ip directed-broadcast
ip nat inside
no ip route-cache
!
interface Ethernet1
ip address 24.****.12 255.255.255.0
no ip directed-broadcast
ip nat outside
!
ip default-gateway 24.***9.1
ip nat inside source list 1 interface Ethernet1 overload
ip classless
ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 24.***9.1
!
access-list 1 permit 192.168.1.0 0.0.0.255
!
line con 0
exec-timeout 0 0
transport input none
line vty 0 4
password 7 *****
login
!
end

Don't really know if that makes any difference.
Do you have to add the protocol you want to permit to the access-list or will leaving it blank allow all protocols?
access-list 1 permit 192...
access-list 1 permit ip 192...

busche

If it's a cable modem, they might be ristricting access to a specific MAC address. Call your cable company and tell them that you upgraded your computer and have a new network card.

I've done some further testing with my system here, and it appears it is having trouble completeing the ARP request for IPs it tries to contact. No matter what site/IP I try to contact, it just gets hung at incomplete for the ARP request. It works great when I test it within my private network, but it just won't complete the ARP procedure when its connected to the outside world. Just as a side note, I don't have to worry about the MAC address, my ISP gives 2 IPs (and I have a static for the Cisco).

Any ideas on how to resolve this ARP issue would be great! Thanks for the posts so far!

Put the router in bridge mode, so you can pass IP's. Put one of the ip's on your computer, see if pc goes out to the internet. If it does then ISP most likely not in fault. What IOS are u running? Could u ping your gateway? Remove the ip route statement for troubleshooting purposes.

In bridge mode, the router doesn't seem to really do anything. It still times out when I try to go to any webpages or trace/ping anything, but without it in routing mode, it doesn't attempt to arp anything. Regardless of which mode it is in, I can't even ping the gateway (and I've tried from a comp attachted to it and from the router itself). I'm running IOS 12.0(28) with IP and firewall features.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back