Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Cable labelling 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

fs483

Technical User
Jul 7, 2002
CA
Hello,

I did a search for cable labelling printers and saw a couple of models in this forum. I saw a lot of ads for Rhino Cable labeler. Has anyone used this ? I also saw references to Panduit (LS7). The other models referred to webpages that aren't in service anymore. I'm currently using a Home Office P-Touch to label patch panels and jacks but they don't work well around cables. I usually use a bit a clear tape over the P-Touch labels but it doesn't look very professional. I want to buy a machine that will print on labels that stick well (permanently) onto cables. My company doesn't do a lot of cabling, we are mostly IT support for SMBs but when I go onto a job site for new customers, I usually do an overhaul or at least clean up the server room, patch cords and the such just to figure out the mess left by the previous IT company. Most of the time, just by the looks of the server room, I know how well the previous IT company took care of their network. It's not always their fault but I like to work in a clean and organized area. It also helps when I need to troubleshoot a problem with the client over the phone. It's much easier to say, disconnect the cabled labelled xxx and blah blah then just follow the cable from the white box that's written CSU/DSU which might be blue, gree or yellow ... What do you guys use other than P-Touch and/or Sharpie on masking tape ?

thanks
akwong

I use the LS7. There is a tape cartridge that you can get and the tape sticks to just about anything. Doesn't come off without a bit of work either. I never used any other labellers so I'm not sure if they all can do it as well, but the LS7 can rotate the text so it prints vertically on the tape....Hard to explain...like this:
----------------
| | |
----------------

The | symbols are the text so if you held the tape vertically, the text would be horizontal...

Yeah I understand the vertical printing. The Rhino does the same thing, multiple sizes, memory keys. You can even enter the spacing between each port on a patch panel and it will automatically print all the port numbers so that the writing is directly above the port. There's also the automatic increase in the numbers... A bunch of features. How much does the LS7 cost ?

I use a Brady IDPal. Works great for cables, but cartridges can be hard to find other than online. Not really a problem, as we stock up whenever we get down to 2-3 cartridges. Plus, I hear Fastenal carries brady supplies now.

In general, I think most of the current handhelds perform about the same. Resolution can be a bit lacking for larger labels, but I think the newer units are higher-res than the IDPal. Be sure to consider cost and availability of supplies before you buy!

Brother makes flexible labels specifically for labeling cables. You have to have the right machine to use it in though. i Have the Brother PT1650 and it works well.

By far the Brady IDXpert labeler with 4x4 lamented labels is the best in my opinion. I use it to label all my fiber-optic and Ethernet cables. Since it is laminated in wont fade smear and will last a very long time. And the best part is it will never come off because the protective coating wraps around the cable and the label. Only bad part is the price $400.00 not including the labels but if you need professional looking label its well worth it.

Nice link sonic67!

Here is a more stripped down version:

The Brady IDXpert looks like a nice tool since they have a version that has a QWERTY keyboard. I use a old Brady LS2000 for the same reason, a reasonable keyboard. Most other portable labelers use retarded ABCDEF keyboards that tend to kill productivity just like the difference between calculator and telephone keypads only about 10 times worse.

One company I worked for used a ID-Pro Plus and the process of making anything over 60 labels was mind numbing because of the bizarre key order. Since we knew 90% of the labels we would need on a job in advance I started making them at the office using Panduit PLL-39-Y2-1 laser printer labels, Word and Excel. What a time saver!

It appears that Panduit PLL-39-Y2-1 is an old part number. Panduit part number S100X150YAJ seems to be a reasonable replacement.

Here is a reallonglink that may work:

Here is a shorter link to the part drawing:

As a test I put some of these Panduit labels on a section of RG6 and buried it in the garden. Two years later they looked fine and were no even close to coming off.

If I needed a new portable labeler tomorrow I would likely purchase the Brady IDXpert XPERT-KEY. It looks lile a nice compact unit. $400 is not a big expense for a new printer. In the long run you will spend more on the labels.

Has anyone tried the RhinoPro form dymo ? ?

I'm still hesitating between the Brady IdPal, RhinoPro and Brother. Going through the websites, I saw something I didn't like. Some of them showed pictures of labels attached to the wires as flags ! Instead of having the label wrapped around the cable (parallel), they are perpendicular making them look like flags. I don't want that, it look so unprofessional. I also saw many different widths for labels from 3/8" to 1/2". Which ones do you guys use when labelling patch cords ? What's the different between laminated/nylon or cloth ?

thanks
akwong

With the IDPal, I use the 3/4" white cloth (PAL-750-499) cartridges. This seems to provide a reasonable number of characters in a medium font for cable wrapping.

To further confuse you, it is a "nylon" cloth, so the appearance is a smooth, matte surface. I've used vinyl in other label printers, and find it to be much less flexible, and not suitable for wrapping. Maybe for flagging, but I agree, that does not look professional and tends to be a nuisance during MACs.

The Panduit labels are great for both printing and writing on. I saved a few bucks, and spent a little time in Excel to make a spreadsheet that lines up with the labels. I believe panduit sells software that basically does the same thing, but I am cheap

I have been using the RhinoPro for about a year. It is primarily used on-site, for new wire pulls, patch panels and replacing old hand numbered labels. I use the 3/4 white and yellow nylon labels wiring. It has some nice feature for the price.

I still haven't picked a labeller yet but I finally came across one that my telecom/electrical supplier carries (specifically made for wires). It's a Thomas and Betts EZL-100 labeller. It looks good. It's funny because my telecom supplier didn't even know the electrical guys had that on their side (the two share the same office space/warehouse but have two different service counters ! Any feedback ? My rep says his customer hasn't had any comments but they keep on coming back to buy more tape labels.

I use a Brady TLS 2200 Thermal Transfer Printer. Comes with software and you can print labels from your PC. Makes printing labels much faster. Only downside is cost at $800. If you must have nice cable labels that will stand up for years to come....this is the printer you want.

Eric Oliver
XpectriX Consulting

I finally purchased the EZL-100 from Thomas and Betts. Initial tests are very good. Unit is a little heavy and bulky. Tapes run about 23$ CAD which is about the same thing as the PTouch PT-65) so I'll probably pass on my PTouch to someone else that doesn't do wire identification. It works fine for wall plates but not that good for patch panels because it doesn't do the length of a bix connector. I like the EZL-100 because it has a function to label patch panels. You set the number, press on the Patch panel function, it then asks what's the spacing between each jack and you can ask it to serialize either a number or letter and the number of units to print out. When you want to print a label for wire identification, you press on the WRAP key and it will print it multiple times in horizontal or vertical. It's has also functions to print on terminal blocks, back light for the LCD, 2 lines printing, jack for AC adaptor, 4 sizes of labels from 9mm to 2x mm (can't remember) and it also has a soft plastic shell to protect it if it falls. Labels are easy to peel. I was hoping it could print on labels that have a clear plastic cover to wrap on the wires but I'm not sure if they have those tapes. The unit cost 231$ CAD. Keyboard is crappy though. So far pretty happy with it.

anthony

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back