Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

cable/dsl router

Status
Not open for further replies.

brandon12

Technical User
Jun 5, 2000
US
I'm not sure if this is allowed, but I have a question about what I should purchase. I'm getting a cable connection and want to hook up 2 computers to it. I know that I need a router with ports or a hub. I am not sure what router to buy. I only need the 4 port router. If anyone has any suggestions about the brand (linksys, d-link) and the model I would really appreciate it.

Thanks,

Brandon

I have many customers (and me at home) who use the LinkSys. It's easy, effective and acts as a solid firewall as well.

I also have the Linksys Router/Switch and am very happy with it. DHCP, NAT, DMZ, Advanced config for opening specific ports for use with my companies VPN. I dig it. Came with copy of TurboLinux Server lite, too!

Alex

Hi there, I would reccomend the NetGear 314RT. It's much more reliable than the LinkSys. You can do virtually anything with it. Not only that, it allows for MAC assignment.

CF

I agree the netgear RT 314 is a much better router than the linksys. I have used both and the netgear is a better all around solution. I also have about 5-6 clients that I have setup with this same router and it has been flawless.

(Bugermass....)

I haven't tried the netgear at all but I have set up a few with the link-sys and it's easy, quick, and reliable. But I didn't get the TurboLinux:)

Either way, Both the Linksys and the Netgear are the best choices (also the most expensive). There is an alternative from SMC called the barricade. The one thing I like about it in contrast to the linksys or netgear, is that it includes a print server for faster network printing.

If you get a hub (don't do it), you will need a masquerading program or proxy software to share the internet connection.

I love the linksys though. Pretty good deal! Now it's 100 bucks at buy.com.

hope this helps!!!

Rninja

I just bought two SMC Barricades. These have an ethernet WAN port, a serial WAN port (dial access or dial backup), a printer port (print server incorporated with Windows client software on the CD, works w/Un*x too, possibly Mac), and a 4-port 10/100 autosensing ethernet switch.

NAT function you need is there, as is soft DMZ functionality you can allocate to one address so things like MS NetMeeting can be used through it supports tunnels for ICQ and several gaming protocols that suck up lots o' ports, plus you can map addresses through to specific machines so you could run a web server, ftp server, etc. on your LAN if desired.

Web-based administration as well, as another person mentioned above.

Best part: $99 each plus a $50 rebate (each). Beat that! $49 broadband router with print server and serial as well as ethernet WAN port -plus- 10/100 switch!

I buddy of mine had a Linksys box, took it back for exchange, got another, took it back and got his $$ back. Then he went NetGear and had no more troubles.

Good luck in your search - I bought mine from Computers4Sure but I think the rebate was a manuf. rebate, not just C4S's rebate.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back