Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Cable distance

Status
Not open for further replies.

kjonnnnn

MIS
Aug 25, 2000
US
How do you determine the distance limits and strategy when cabling... for example

Server1 is 250 feet from Hub 1
Hub 1 is 200 feet from Hub 2
Hub 2 is 60 feet from Computer 1

Computer1 plugs into Hub 2
Hub 2 plugs into Hub 1
Hub 1 plugs into Server 1

Is that a good setup OR should

Computer 1 plug in to Hub 2
and Hub 2 plug directly into Server 1

I guess my question is, does the distance between ALL the hub hook ups count, or just the distance from the computer to the hub its plugged into.

[sig][/sig]

Let's get this straight, hub2 would be about 450' away from the server? I can't remember what the maximum length of a span can be but I think it is around 500' and I think that is pushing. As far as your first setup goes, I don't think there will be any problem with it. [sig]<p>Troy Williams B.Eng.<br><a href=mailto:fenris@hotmail.com>fenris@hotmail.com</a><br><a href= > </a><br> [/sig]

The maximum UTP (Unshielded Twisted Pair) distance is 100m including fly and patch leads. Therefore your distances should be within reach. If you apply Ethernet 802.3 rules, your system will work fine - providing you cross-over your pairs i.e, 1-3 2-6 on one end only this will work unless of course you have a crossover button/port on your hub. Hope this helps. [sig][/sig]

Hey.
Just to clarify Ciscoguy's response, s/he is talking about the cross-over links between hubs only.

In response to the original question, the number of hops you are allowed is restricted to, I think 4 or 5,
i.e. Source(PC) > hub > hub > hub > destination(server)
With which again you are still ok unless you need speed. Each time you go thru a shared-bandwidth hub, you are sharing the 10 or 100 between the other ports. If you've got 2x16port 10mb shared-bandwidth hubs you are sharing the 10mb hierarchically:
bandwidth = 10'/,16(10'/,16)
potentially, although all nodes will not be trying to talk at the same time.
If you've got a problem, install better equipment such as dedicated-bandwidth port-switching hubs (switches) and go to 100mb, assuming that you are not already.
If you've got no problem, no problem!
Pritch [sig][/sig]

100 meters (328 feet) from hub to node (computer) max. That includes the patch cables. You can add repeaters if your cable length needs to be longer than 328 feet.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back