Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

cable crossover connection with two XP computers

Status
Not open for further replies.

MiLF

Technical User
Mar 7, 2003
US
My brother and I are attempting to hook our computers together for file sharing and gaming. We both have windows xp installed. We both have network cards and went out today and purchased a cat5e cable crossover. I've tried several time to get this to work through the Network connection wizard, but when I select the connect directly to another computer option, it only allows me to select the serial or parallel ports for file transfer. How do I get XP to recognize that we are connected via a cable crossover? I think my PC recognizes this while my brother's does not, but then again, I'm not sure. Anyone who can provide detailed steps for setting up a cable crossover connection between two PCs running XP...it'd be greatly appreciated!

I would use the tried and tested method and give each PC a static IP address and make sure you can ping one from the other. The only word of warning is to make sure you have firewalls turned off else the connection is refused. Once you have done this you can map drives etc etc
Cheers,
AndyMac

When I had trouble setting up a network between my new XP computer and other home computers, I went to the Dell support site - support.dell.com - and went to the Dell Talk forums, and chose the Dell Dimension Network forum. I found several links to wonderful Web sites with advice on how to troubleshoot XP networking problems.

I suspect that there is no difference between using a crossover cable and using regular straight (patch) cables and a hub. But I'm certainly not an expert on this. When I tried using Ethernet cables and a hub, it still took me eight hours of struggling before I got the network to work. I finally found the help I needed on the Dell Talk forums.

You can get directly to the Dell Dimension Networking forum here:

Since I wanted to connect my computers in a LAN and also share a connection to the Internet, I ended up putting two network cards in my new XP. I had to be sure that the connection that was for the LAN did NOT have a firewall.

Have you verified that the cable is working? Do the lights on the network cards light up at both ends?

Harriet Bograd

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back