Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Cable Certifiers 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

telnettech

Vendor
May 5, 2005
US
I am a small just starting out company. I recently had a project that i finished and had to pay someone to certify. I may do 3 or 4 projects a year. Was wondering if a i should purchase a cable certifier myself. And what brand and model would someone recommend? it doesnt have to be a Lexus or Mercedes but something that is reputable and reliable when used correctly.

Brian

To error is human.....if the machine doesnt work, then KICK IT !!!!!!!!!!!!!

Brian,
I see from your profile that you install phone switches and as such have cabling expertise. I assume you refer to a data cabling project for certification.
Just some thoughts:
1. Did the customer specify //certified CAT5e of 6// etc? Some don't... so certification is not necessary as long as the cabling "works".
2. Having a qualified 3rd party certify the cable is a great marketing move for you, the tester and the customer. As long as you can afford: having the cable checked, fixing any that do not pass and having them rechecked. You are not an expert simply when you have a tester (Fluke is the best). You need to be able to understand the results (Fluke is easy to use) and determining what needs to be done (Fluke is your friend).
3. Ask your tester friend to take you on a quick job to see what he(she) uses and what needs to be done. Take a vendor course (Fluke is intuitive). You may be able to cost justify the tester over your 3-4 jobs per year and still be competitive.

Regards
Peter Buitenhek
ProfitDeveloper.com

Thanks Peter

The customer specified that it had to meet CAT5 specifications.....i did use CAT5E rated material for the project.....i was just trying to justify if i should go out and purchase/spend the time getting qualified to test cabling also. maybe a niche here in my city that i maybe able to exploit as i have not seen very many certifiers in the area. Even the guy that came to test my cables was from out of town

Brian

Brian,

Sounds like a great opportunity to fill a void at your location.

Cable testing, repair and certification is easy money. 99% of the problems you'll ever find are connectivity issues that can be caught with an $80 tester, but the higher dollar meters will give the certification printouts customers love.

And stress that certified cable plants result in Soooooo many fewer network problems saving a ton of cash.

I like Fluke also:
Just pick something that looks appealing and start pricing it. I can't suggest specific models since our particular testers are a bit outdated, but I'm sure anything in your price range will be fine.

I wish you great success.

If the customer requires certification the Byte Brothers unit or any other unit featuring "real world testing" won't fulfill the contract.

The least expensive route to a unit capable of cat5 certification is eBay. Currently Pentascanners go for $300-$500. I think the newer models like the PentaScanner+ 350 can do cat5e. Be aware that these units are no longer supported by Fluke who bought Microtest. If it breaks or needs calibration you will have to find another source than the manufacturer.

A bit more modern are the Omniscanner line which run $1000-$2000 on eBay. These will do cat6 and fiber with proper adapters. These units have been discontinued by Fluke but last I checked they would still repair and calibrate them ($600 and up).

I use an Omniscanner that I got off eBay and it works great. Previously I used a Pentascanner that I bought and later sold on eBay after I got the Omniscanner. My total cost for the 2 years I had it was $200.

If you can convince a customer that a "real world tester" can fulfill a contract line that specifies certification then go for it.

The advantage of certification is printed standards based testing which goes a LONG way towards stopping the finger pointing if things go bad.

Brian,

I just purchased a Fluke CableIQ qualification tester and love it. I purchased the kit version for $1,500 which includes a case, toner, and six additional remote identifiers. This device has saved me lots of time and has given me peace-of-mind versus my old basic continutity tester. It was well worth the price.

-Jeff

Is Cat6 enhanced/augmented a standard yet, or just a marketing ploy?

The answer is "42"

If you only do a handfull of certifications a year, it may be better for you to rent the test equipment each time.

There are several national test equipment rental outfits that will ship next day.
This way, you can "test drive" several models. Then, if your cable installs pick up, you can always buy certified used test equipment from the same rental outfit.

I rented several times, them bought a used Fluke. The cost was reasonable, and I got the same level of certification as the guy who bought one new.

Just a thought...

Can you give me a list of outfits that would rent the tester?

The standard for CAT6a is Draft TIA/EIA 568-B.2-10 Augmented Category 6

Sometimes if you purchase from Anixter they will rent or lend tools.

RenTelco is a test equipment rental group. I would also look into local calibration shops, as they often rent test equipment and resale used-but-certified test equipment.

guys

Thanks for the interesting conversations.....i will have to check into the renting of the equipment......who knows....i would like to see my business take off so i dont have to work for soemone else(I but what owner wouldnt like that)

Brian

Any Rexel location can rent you what you need.

The Fluke DXT1800 or the Wirescope 350 should fit your needs.

Boy,this stuff is fun !!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back