Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

CA BrightStor 9

Status
Not open for further replies.

gmanea

Technical User
Sep 11, 2003
US
A Quantum DLT magazine was replaced with a Quantum DLT1 single drive and ArcServe 6.61 was upgraded to BrightStor 9. How can the old tapes be read and cataloged and can the database information be restored from an old full backup tape and used with the new version of software so we dont have to redo jobs?

Thanks!

That depends on which model DLT drive was in the old library. The DLT1 is only read compatible with the DLT 4000.

Hi and thanks!

I am trying to find out but, meanwhile, I am only trying to read. Some tapes are regular backups others are archives of old files and it would take too much time to recover. If the tapes can be read, can they be "re-cataloged" (if there is such a thing!) and be recognized on the new drive and by the updated software? Again, we are not trying to re-use the old tapes but just to have access to them in case something needs to be restored!

Thanks again!
Gabe

Hi again!

I just found out that the old one was a Quantum DLT 4000!

Gabe

Ok so there should not be any problem.

Since this is only about using the old tapes only if a restore is needed then here is what I recommend:
1) Don't bother with a database recover, or a merge of the old tapes.
2) Pick a couple of tapes and do:
a) a scan - this will show the sessons on tape
b) a merge of one session per tape
c) a restore of a directory from each merged session
3) Document in clear easy to follow step by step proceedures how to do a restore.

Thanks David!

I still would like to know if it can be done and how to do it as far as being able to restore the old database and to read the old tapes without having to go through the procedure outlined in the previous response.

Worst case, does CA have a support that can help on this issue?

Gratefully and thankfully yours,
Gabe

OK I tried, so here is what you are asking for.

Just pop in a tape and then select recover database.
It will replace your current BAB 9.01 database with the old 6.61 version.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back