Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

C1924 lost management console

Status
Not open for further replies.

SvviWAN

ISP
Jul 21, 2000
US
I've been working with an older Catalyst 1900 switch (firmware ver 5.35) We can't get any management console output. We are able to bring up the diagnostic console by holding in the mode button on the front of the switch while turning on the power. After upgrading the firmware via xmodem, the switch will POST and then leave us with a blsnk screen except for modem strings ATQ0H0 and ATQ0Z0. Anyone ever experienced the same issue? I searched all through Cisco's site and didn't find any input.

I have a Catalyst 1900 and I am having the same issue!
The strange thing is, is that I can use the Diagnostic Conole (press and hold the "mode" button on the front when powering on) just fine, but when I try to start it normally, all I get is AT0H0 or AT0Z0 ??!!

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

cheers!

Sean Patrick Ingles
d1verse@yahoo.com

Either your firmware upgrade is incorrect/or corrupted or the configuration is not correct. The following doc has the reset/recovery procedures for the 1900. Let us know if it works :)

Mike S

"Diplomacy; the art of saying 'nice doggie' till you can find a rock" Wynn Catlin

Hmm there could be a caveat for this or a known problem that has been logged by cisco...?

I`ve been having the same problem. So when I try to upgrade the firmware I hold down the front button to get to the configuration console and it asks me for the console password. Anyone no how I can erase this password. I bought the switch used and the person doesn`t know the password.

Thanks

I don't know whether you all have resolved this issue yet or thrown out those switches. BUt, I just got an old 1900 switch last week and was having the same problem. I went to the ends of the earth and back but no help. Anyway....the resolution is a DB9 female to DB9 female null modem cable.

I've had the same problem before Nobbie and the cable fixed it....this is most likely the problem....

We have exactly the same problem. Tried several null modem cables. Nothing. Just the Diagnostic console which works fine every time with each cable. Tried differnt terminals too but al withthe same result.

I just went through this same issue. You have to use the ORIGINAL db9 to db9 connector cable that was shipped with these switches. Unfortunately, Cisco does not manufacture these any longer. It is a gray cable, not black or blue where you plug the RJ45 into the DB9 adapter. The DB9s on both ends are a part of the cable and are non-removable.

i just got one of these switches also and i'm having the same problem ... does anyone know the pinouts for this cable? ...

if we cant get the orginal from cisco at least we can make our own.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back