Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

C$ Windows Share 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

wmin

Programmer
Feb 10, 2003
GB
I was shocked to learn that by typing \\[systemname]\C$ I was able to access the entire drive, including user profiles, system directories on a laptop that belongs to Win2K domain while it was connected to a workgroup at home. I later found that I was able to access any workstation in the office as easily, however with a password prompt. I was a believer that C$ was only granted to admin/system accounts. This carries great implications when connecting to a public network, how this can be resolved.

right click on the drive and select sharing, disable the option to "share this drive"

The two basic principles of Windows system administration:
For minor problems, reboot
For major problems, reinstall

Options to shut this off:

1. Unbind File and Printer sharing for Microsoft networks from the current network connection or uninstall the service if you don't use it.
2. Disable the Server and Computer Browser services (not possible if in a Microsoft networking environment).

You are right in thinking that you should only be able to access the administrative shares if your account is a local administrator on the machine, so I assume that the one you used with the home network was exactly that.

biglebowski's solution would work temporarily, but the administrative share would be reinstated at the next reboot.

John

John you are quite right, the account at home was an admin account but, what is bizarre that computer which I was using was merely part of XP workgroup, ie. part of nothing. My laptop was supposedly part of a domain, purpose of which is to isolate you from everything else that is not part of the club – not authorised. How can it be possible for any tom-dick&harry pc that is not part of the domain, without going through a sign-on service to access everything on a domain disk. Further more, when I tried to access even shared directories on my XP machine from my laptop, it complained that there was no sign on service running on that machine?! :-O

Here's a star John. You hit it on the money. I've seen this many times, so always be careful who you make part of the admin account. (There are other horror stories I could tell you about hackers, but I'm always leary of giving the wrong people the wrong ideas.)

Glen A. Johnson
If you're from Northern Illinois/Southern Wisconsin check out Tek-Tips in Chicago, Illinois Forum.

TTinChicago

<insert obligatory "don't mess with the registry" disclaimer here>

Putting the following code into a .reg file and running it as an administrator will make those default shares go away without removing the ability to publish authorized shares:
Code:
Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\lanmanserver\parameters]
"AutoShareWks"=dword:00000000
"AutoShareServer"=dword:00000000

C$ is simply your "C" drive with a hidden attribute (the $).

In domain enviornments, Administrators can access PC's on their network via this method. It has saved me many a trip to a work station at the other end of the building when the fix is something very simple.

The fact that you are prompted for a password on the other PC's simply means that you are not part of the Administrator (either local or domain) group. If you have the proper permissions, then you would connect to it and it would become a network drive on your PC and allow you to work with the files.

Our entire domain is configured to allow remote connections such as you have described and it is set up to re-establish those same shares upon a reboot.

Texas Sasquatch...

Gooney goo goo!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back