Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

C:\Windows Share Issue

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 9, 2009
US
I need to share C:\WINDOWS as ADMIN$ but whenever I try to do this I get the following error:

The following error occurred while creating the share for Microsoft Windows clients: The parameter is incorrect.

I must use the name ADMIN$ for this share.
How can I fix this and get past this error?

That share is there by default, you should not need to set it yourself.

But make sure you have Simple File Sharing turned off.

----------------------------------
Ignorance is not necessarily Bliss, case in point:
Unknown has caused an Unknown Error on Unknown and must be shutdown to prevent damage to Unknown.

I understand that it is the default, however someone, at somepoint, removed it and now I need to put it back and when I do, it gives me that error message.

Joe,
You could have replied in your open thread. Why don't you tell us exactly what you are typing and where? Windows won't let you use manually set a "Default share" name.

This article should help you understand it:

Also realize that XP Home Edition does not apply. If you have XP Pro, then how many PC's on your network is this affecting?

~cdogg
"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." - Einstein
[tab][navy]For posting policies, click [/navy]here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back