Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

C++; Visual Basic......NET

Status
Not open for further replies.

thornmastr

Programmer
Feb 2, 2002
US
Hello,

I am a Visual Basic 6 Developer with a reasonable background in C. Unfortunately, it is not C++. And, after developing in VB 6 almost exclusively for the past ten years, I am reasonably certain my understanding of C is now more theoretical than pragmatic.

But, what is very pragmatic is that Visual Basic 6 is no longer being supported by Microsoft, and while it still affords me a comfortable living, it is time limited. I have looked at NET and find that I do not like what I have seen and like even less what I have heard from developers who are using it.

I don’t think there is a real migration path from Visual Basic to C++ 6; but I do want to begin learning this and can hopefully, within a year or two, make the jump to a serious C++ practitioner. I do have some serious questions that hopefully the members of this group can answer.

First I have seen a number of web articles pertaining to C++ and NET. Does this mean that Microsoft has also cut development of C++ and now offers only C combined with Net or only C#? I guess the real question is, is C++ still a viable Microsoft product or should I look seriously at Borland C++ or Delphi?

As a developer, can I use the professional edition or do I need to opt for what is probably the very expensive Enterprise edition? Also, what should I expect to spend for whatever version I should purchase? Is an EBay purchase a viable alternative?
And last, could someone suggest a few good C++ learning texts as well as a few texts dealing specifically with using C++ in developing Databases?

Any other suggestions or ideas any of you might share, I would be most grateful.

Thank you,

Robert Berman
Data Base consultant
Vulcan Software Services
thornmastr@earthlink.net

well... i don't think MSVC++ is going to die out anytime soon!

for good books on c++:

also, if you intend to make GUIs with C++ (ie use MFC) visual c++ is way better. i don't know much mfc myself and have never tried to make a gui with borland etc. but i have read that vc++ makes that much easier and is a muc much better tool to use than anything else!

I would watch buying things like this on eBay. If you buy a second-hand product that has already been registered to the original owner, and if they are still using it (is there really any way to know unless its new in box/never opened?) then there is a problem. Two people are using Microsoft's product, and only one has purchased it from Microsoft. Now I'm not trying to be an alarmist, but I have heard stories about people getting into trouble from buying opened software on eBay. Apparently folks sometimes purchase something expensive, make their copies to use themselves, then try to recoup some of the costs by reselling it on eBay as "new".

I agree though, I don't think VC++ 6 will die out anytime soon. Microsoft is pushing .NET 2005 (in beta 2 now I believe) but MSVC++ 6 is still in use by so many, I doubt they cut support anytime in the near future. However, you might want to investigate .NET 2005, because I've heard that all the things they did wrong in .NET and .NET 2003 were fixed in 2005. As of today, you can download or order on cd a free beta 2 copy to evaluate.

Hope that helps.

Thank you both for the information. It is appreciated.

Robert Berman
Data Base consultant
Vulcan Software Services
thornmastr@earthlink.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back