Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

C partition larger than 8.2 GB crashing - W2K

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 18, 2003
GB
I've experienced many times that a C partition larger than 8.2 GB is crashing. Never seen it on system with less than 8 GB. Often it comes up as "unaccesible boot device" or missing NTLDR or missing or corrupt system/software (registry hives). We're running W2K SP2 and 3 - NTFS.
I thought there shouldn't be any problems running large c partitions - but I am not so sure anymore, since the crashing systems have larger than 8.2 GB c partitions - systems with less haven't crashed (and it's identical pc's) Any tips, comments and links to information much appreciated.
:)
regards
David

Bit more info would be appreciated. Like how many machines involved (and what percentage < 8.2 GB)? Are disks all same size. Presume all disks correctly recognised at full size by bios. Single installation on single partition on single disk? There's no reason 2k's system partition can't be more than 8.2GB (machine I'm on - its 30GB, machine at home, 10GB). What about use? You may have some hardware problems that coincidentally are all on machines with drive > 8.2 GB.

Check your drives, there is a known recall on fujitsu drives 10.1 GB up to 20.4GB I think. Not sure on sizes,but for the last 6 months everytime I run a service call,I get a message saying check manufacture of drive if fujitsu it may be under recall.
Rich

Thanks for your reply guys. The exact number of pc's I do not have at the moment. An &quot;educated&quot; guess will be we've had more than 20 pc's with c partitions larger than 8.2 GB - of which maybe 16 have crashed so far. The harddrives themselves range between 20 GB and 40 GB (Western Digital). It's just been kind of a puzzle to me that none of the pc's with smaller c partitions have not crashed (total number of identical pc's is around 60)- even though they're all running the same image loaded by powerquest drive image pro. (The image we're using has been created by ourself and our supplier - we're using the same image on a wide range of pc's - Dell's)

My dad uses a 9.4GB HDD on Windows 2000. It is split into a 7.4GB HDD and a 2Gb one. Both NTFS.

I always wondered why - and this may be it. I suppose they were having problems at his work and made all the partitions less than 8GB to prevent it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back