Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

C#.NET question!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Guest_imported

Jan 1, 1970
How far can i get using VB commands in c#?
Microsoft said that C# = VB + C++ + Java...so how much vb is c#? And is it difficult to convert from VB.NET/6.0 to C# ???

actually, c# is very similar to java. .NET code written in c# is understandable to anyone who knows .NET. Its not difficult to convert .NET code from 1 language to another. at least w/ VB.NET/C#/C++.NET. As for VB 6.0, I dunno, they have converters but they don't work sometimes. You can use regular c/c++ code w/ c++.net though.

All the FCL (.NET framework class library) will convert fairly easily. But there are some fundamental differences in the languages, not the least how they define variables. In VB.NET, you say:
Code:
  Dim MyStringVar As String
In C#, you say:
Code:
  String MyStringVar;

Chip H.

chiph said:

In VB.NET, you say:
In C#, you say:
String MyStringVar;

As I understand it, C# is case-sensitive, and regular VB is not. Has VB.NET adopted case-sensitivity, or is

different from:
Dim myStringvar As String

???

Just asking ....

JimHH

(P.S. apologies if two replies are posted - Login problems)

VB.NET is not case-sensitive, so:
Code:
Dim sAVar as String
is the same as:
Code:
Dim SavAR as String

This was one of the things that Microsoft had to overcome in the CRL (common runtime library), since languages like C# and C++ are case-sensitive, but languages like VB and COBOL are not.

Chip H.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back