Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

C++ isn't executing anything!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

streetwarrior

Programmer
Oct 9, 2004
US
i'm running c++ 6 on a windows xp system and whenever i try to run a program it says(in the compiler status box) "Linking...", but it just stays like that. even when i try to stop that build, it refuses to do so, so the only way i could got out of it is by ctrl+alt+deling it. if anyone can help me out, it would be awesome.

Yeah, I used to have that. First get the latest service packs for Visual C++ 6 from msdn. Someone also told me that a virus scanner somehow caused it, so assuming you have a virus scanner, update that too. Hopefully that will fix it.

There is another notorious problem with Visual Studio 6 -
After starting Windows, if a DLL is loaded for the first time while debugging, the DLL memory copy will be destroyed at the end of the execution; however, Windows address for the in-memory copy will still point to the destroyed location. Consequently, any further attempts to use the DLL code will cause all kinds of strange problems (in ANY program attempting to use the DLL).

The real joke is that Microsoft's documentation says this is not a bug but a design consideration. That consideration cost me over a month of pain and agony.

To avoid this problem, I always execute the DLL code (for property sheets/pages and other loadable controls) in a non-debug version of the program before starting Visual Studio.

Thank God I do the majority of my testing on a laptop with hibernation.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back