Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

C:Drive Full (I need to copy Servers C:Drive to an new...

Status
Not open for further replies.

DougP

MIS
Dec 13, 1999
US
I have a Small business Server 4.5<br>It has a 2Gig hardrive and its full so that Exchange POP3 connector fails all the time. <br>Event Viewer says Not enough disk space<br>There is only 20 Megs left.<br>I have a new 6 gig ready<br>I know NT 4.0 will only see the first 4 gig<br>Thats not a problem<br>I want to know the easiest way to copy the entire c:drive to a new drive that I will install as G: or whatever<br>Powerquest makes a product called ServerMagic but it's $399<br>Is the a way using Xcopy or something?<br><br><br>

Hi,<br><br>Although Server Magic is a tad expensive, in my experience it beats hands down any competition.&nbsp;&nbsp;It will allow you not only to copy your c: drive to a new disk, but also resize the partition and create a new one in the remaining free space.&nbsp;&nbsp;It's very easy to use, and I certainly recommend it.&nbsp;&nbsp;<br><br>Just my 2 cents.<br>

An even better idea is to stick the new 6Gb disk in as a slave disk and then run Exchange optimiser which should suggest moving most of Exchange for you to the new disk once it is seen under disk admin.<br><br>Then you don't need to buy any more software and your system will run a damn sight faster. Also, you don't get the 4Gb upper limit. 2Gb is more than enough for NT Server. I normally put it into a 500Mb or 1Gb partition, but I always put my Back Office on the next disk set...

Well thanks Zelandakh <br>I have free space on other drives in that machine already.<br>I don't have any IDE ports left (used all four) for CD-ROMS<br>and have 3 SCI Drives and CD-Roms too.<br>total of 9 drives in machine in cluding floppy.<br><br>I'll see if Exchange will move itself to another drive first.<br><br><br>

Here's another question about Server Magic<br>I neeed to upgrade several of our NT workstations too.<br>Can I use Server Magic from the server to see a Workstations second New drive and copy the entire c:Drive on the workstation to D: on the workstation???<br><br><br>

Also I did the Exchange Optimizer and it freed up 400 meg on the C:drive<br>It put some files on C: some on D: and some on F:<br><br>So that's great

Another thing to look for -- where is your pagefile located?&nbsp;&nbsp;I know MS says to keep it on the C: drive so you can have memory dumps in case of a BSOD, but if you have it on C: is it RAM + 12 MB in size or larger?&nbsp;&nbsp;If its larger than that, off load it to a different HD/partition.<br><br>Another thing, simply from my experience, try and keep the C: drive of an NT install as clean as possible, having a large C: drive/partition is going to slow down the NT system files a bit, especially if its full.&nbsp;&nbsp;I'd try and off-load as much as possible (ie Program Files (Office, Resource Kits, TechNet,etc, etc - reinstall to a different drive/partition).&nbsp;&nbsp;Also, don't keep any data file/database/Exchange IS's on the C: drive, again keep it as clean as possible to prevent fragmenting the C: drive and slowing everything down.<br><br>My suggestion about going from one drive to another is Backup and Restore.&nbsp;&nbsp;Its quick, its easy and it checks the integrity of your backups :)<br><br>Hope this helps,<br>Paul Kincaid

If you access to a larger hard drive 13GB, you consider using GHOST, you can do a disk to disk copy. Of course if this server is part of a network you can move some files to another server.

Something else...you mentioned a bunch of CD ROM drives. There are CD ROM servers available out there that act as a CD ROM rack server. They're very, very handy and space efficient as far as disk controllers go.

It seems like you have this solved but this is FYI.&nbsp;&nbsp;You can put the new drive in (remove one of your CDROMS for half an hour or so) and use Disk Manager to establish a Mirror between the new free space and your drive C.&nbsp;&nbsp;This will duplicate exactly what is on drive C to the new drive.&nbsp;&nbsp;Then when you are ready, remove the current C drive (make sure you know what partition number your new drive is and chane this in boot.ini of course.)&nbsp;&nbsp;Oh, and make an update rescue disk (rdisk.exe)&nbsp;&nbsp;:)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back