Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

C compiler?

Status
Not open for further replies.

wlf

Technical User
Sep 25, 2002
US
How to know if there is a C compiler on my solaris 8 system? I need install perl on it. Thanks.

Thanks for your reply. The output is as following:
# which gcc
no gcc in /usr/bin /bin /usr/sbin /sbin /usr/local/bin
#

I guess no C compiler on the system. Is anywhere to download C complier for solaris system? Thanks again.
-wolf

The website that mikeclark gives is the best site for downloading the gcc compiler as well as any dependencies that you might need like make and flex.

Thanks all. -wolf

to find out which software is installed on your System:
1) try to execute or "ask" your shell: which gcc
2) lookup the /var/sadm/install/contents file: grep gcc /var/sadm/install/contents
or check the packages with pkginfo | more
3) try to find (if you know the name of the executable) the executable on the machine:
find / -name gcc
>>The website that mikeclark gives is the best site for
>>downloading the gcc compiler as well as any dependencies
>>that you might need like make and flex.

... or even Perl

Regards
-- Franz
Sorry I'm not a native spaeker, I'm from Munich, Germany - "Home of the Whopper", oh no, "Home of the Oktoberfest" ;-)

I use debian on my PC and the best thing in debian is the "apt-get" utility. (Debian users love it). It resolves automatically all the dependencies and download them if needed.

In Solaris you can use "pkg-get" and you can get it from:

You will need "wget" from
Hope this help you.

Maybe we can type following string:

#gcc -v
the Shell will show you the path of the gcc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back