Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

C coders and maybe do some fun things

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rick C. Hodgin

Programmer
Oct 15, 2021
US
A couple questions:
1. Are there any C developers here, and if so what is your skill level?
2. Does anybody still work in C in their daily job?

I do most of my C coding in a C++ compiler. It has a little tighter type checking, and some relaxed syntax. It also allows for some C++ features like function overloading, parameter initialization, and references which are much easier to use than pointers.

As for me: I have a project I'm working on presently which is about 70K lines of original from scratch C code written in MSVC++ and it also compiles in GCC. It presents a graphical IDE, has a built-in graphical text editor with syntax highlighting. Supports a language with weakly typed variables and a full object model. It has data access, and a lot more.

I'm wondering if in 2021 almost 2022 are there still C coders out there? And if so, are you in this forum? Maybe we could work on some little / fun projects together.

--
Rick C. Hodgin

Yes, I'm a C programmer with over 35 years experience. I don't use it often, but I do use it when the use case is right.

Keep in mind that if you are using "some C++ features", then you aren't writing C. You are writing C if it will compile cleanly in a C compiler. There's nothing wrong with using a C++ compiler, but the moment you use some C++ features, then the C++ compiler becomes a dependency/requirement.

Hi SamBones!

Oh I know. I get that all the time. There are some things I wish C had which it doesn't. And there are a lot of things I wish C++ didn't have that it does. :)

I'm content to code just in C for some kind of fun projects.

--
Rick C. Hodgin

Yeah, when I have a quick and dirty project, most of the time I'll write it in C. But you need to keep in mind that C is basically just a high level assembler. In fact its earliest implementations first started by translating the C source to assembly language code. So, it's awesome for smaller projects, especially if they need absolute speed. But it's the wrong language if you need to write pub apps with user interfaces, whether web or terminal.

So, given that, I use it for fun little projects on Raspberry Pi and Arduino. Small, light, and fast is the perfect use case on those little machines.

I actually code as a hobby. I've never done it professionally. But I've been doing it off and on since the early 2000's.
I code almost exclusively in C. I actually really like the language. But because I code as a hobby, I barely have time for my own projects, never mind anyone else's.
Currently I'm working on a CGI parsing library. I've got most of the routines down for parsing query strings. Now I'm working on multipart/form-data. I'm hoping to open-source it (under GPL) on Bitbucket soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back