Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

C# and Windows CE 5.0

Status
Not open for further replies.

BFT1303

Programmer
Jan 26, 2007
US
I have been trying unsuccessfully to establish a SQL in Windows CE using C#. I know that on a regular Windows form I can use System.Configuration and that contain a definition for ConfigurationManager. However, System.Configuration does not contain that definition for Windows CE.

I am missing something simple or do I need to use a differnet method?

Thanks in advance!

Are you trying to connect to a local SQL server CE on Windows CE itself or a regular SQL server on a remote server?

What version of VS.NET are you using?

I found when I did my SmartDevice project that I had to use the specific matching version of SQL server that could be accessed from the .NET CE framework that came with my VS.NET.

For example, I have VS.NET 2003. It comes with .NET CE 1.0 framework. I then had to reference the System.Data.Sql (I forget the exact name) assembly. This then locks me into a certain version of SQL server. I think it was whatever came before SQL server mobile (SQL server CE 2.0?).

No matter, I remember that everything had to match. I don't know about accessing SQL server on a remote host though. You might want to make an XML web service that encapsulates the interaction with the remote SQL server instead and just call the XML web service from Windows CE.

dalchri makes a valid design point there.

Typically a mobile device is supposed to be considered "Disconnected" until synced with a desktop.

Now that we have wireless on these devices we CAN hit servers with SQL Server on them. This doesn't mean that you should...

The idea of a webservice is not bad. If you don't want to have disconnected usage then it is a good way to wrap all the functionality you need with accessibility from almost any device - not just the one you're working on. Your device may require SQL Server 2000 and a new tablet may require SQL Server 2005 SP2. Having a webservice, neither of the devices care.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back