Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Bytecode changes from SE1.4 to SE5

Status
Not open for further replies.

alebu

Programmer
Sep 7, 2002
As I know, java .class file specification was unchanged
until version 1.4 but because of new features in version 5 ( autoboxing, enums, ... ) there was discution about changes in java bytecode specification. I found JSR 201 and it seems that specs WAS changed, but what about compatibility with old code? I saw somewhere ( on IBM site I think, but not sure ) that there was some compromise beetwin new specs and old, so I am wonder what was those compromises?

I seriously doubt that backwards compatibility is not maintained at bytecode level, that would not be serious at all. That would mean that all "old" applications in production stage need to be recompiled.

Cheers,
Dian

I just remember that in some article on IBM site I saw somethink about the reasons why SE5 generics are not so cool as they could be. It was some compatibility reason as I understood, so if specs WAS changed, then compatibility is already broken and there is no need to worry about it. But there is JSR-201 and it is about that changes, so I probably miss somethink. Thats why I asking about it, hovewer, it is not a question of life and dead. I just wonder ... :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back