Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Bypassing Outlook programmatically

Status
Not open for further replies.

deekydoo

MIS
Jun 21, 2004
GB
Hi,

As part of a Windows 2003 SBS system I've got an XP pro box in the domain, operating as a file server and an email sender. IE it supports a central (back end) MS Access database and regularly scans certain tables to see if any emails have been set up by other parts (front ends) of the system. If so, it sends these emails using CDO.

My problem is that, because I couldn't work out how to take into account MS Exchange(linking to BTconnect) when I set it up, I used a private mail account on BTinternet to send the emails on. This is not satisfactory as a permanent solution

The system works very well but I want to go via btconnect, but not by using MS Outlook as that flags up 'errors' and requires operator intervention before forwarding the email.

I'm not sure if I've explained the situation all that well. You'll probably realise that I know next to nothing about how Exchange works :)

If anyone can point me in the right direction I will be most thankful

Cheers,

Deek

So you are saying you want to send an email using a BT account instead of Outlook which will therefore not touch Exchange Server.

Suggest you head to either a programming forum or something like the Windows XP forum.

I want to send the email straight to MS Exchange, bypassing outlook. Sorry if my prev post was unclear. So what I am looking for are the interface details.

I am already bypassing Outlook and Exchange, and using a BT domestic ISP, BTinternet. Our SBS Exchange connects to the BT business account, BTConnect.

I'll head off and ask the same on an XP forum

Thanks,

Deek

If you're using CDO, you're already bypassing Outlook, or you should be. I send e-mails through Exchange all the time with a script similar to the following:

Set objEmail = CreateObject("CDO.Message")
objEmail.From = "chipk@whatever.com"
objEmail.To = "chipk@blah.com"
objEmail.Subject = "Test Message"
objEmail.Textbody = "Test message."
objEmail.Configuration.Fields.Item _
(" = 2
(" = _
"exchange.domain.com"
(" = 25
objEmail.Configuration.Fields.Update
objEmail.Send

Is that what you're looking for?

thanks chipk,

I'll try that and get back to you. Does it not require a password though?

Deek

You have to be running the Internet Mail Service and allow relaying from certain computers (or everyone). You can test whether your server will relay by following the instructions here under "basic testing":

Basically, you telnet on port 25, specify from, to, and the message and send it from the command line. If you're able to do this, your relaying mail and the vbs should work.

But follow the FAQ in this forum on checking for Exchange relaying so you don't end up compromising your Exchange org.

If the OP is running Windows 2003 SBS then they are unlikely to be running IMS ...

Not often we are graced with your presence...

Be that as it may, looking at the open relay issue is important.

Yeah, whoops, called it IMS since we're in the 5.5 forum, but whether you call it IMS in 5.5 or SMTP in 2000/2003, it all does the same thing.

Absolutely. I only decided to mention the point once we started giving IMS-specific links

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back