Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Buying Routers!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Programmer
Mar 7, 2004
US
Hello all,
I bought a 2500 series recently. I need some suggestion regarding what all you think I should have in order to finish CCNP. I mean if I want to do everything setup at home. I hope I need a catalyst ....and can anyone suggest any document where I can see the features of different routers and observe the difference?..
Anyways hope to see a helpful reply
Thanks,
ss

Hello....

If you are wanting a home lab you will need quite a bit more to go for CCNP. Take a look on ebay for an entire lab setup. After people finish their cert they sell the equipment and will have everything needed to get going.
Take a look at the folowing...something like this would be a good start.

hi,
Spending around 550 or 750 both are too much for me. But yeah I have to do something like this. Actually i got that 2500 for 25$ with shipping. so I might want things like that. But yeah After seeing the link I came to know atleast what can I buy,
Thanks
Sumanth

Consider it an investment....use it and then sell it again when finished and recover your costs....can also write it off as an education expense on your taxes as well as any books you purchase so save receipts and document your purchases.

Hello,
What about this??..

you are absolutely right...My problem is after this semester I have to move places to search for job. so buying and selling is a problem and the biggest problem is taking risk....I know brave men always WIN!!!! :p..but still 750 is alot.
Waiting for your suggestion!!
sumanth

Hate to advise you wrong but the five router setup with the two catalyst switchs would probably be a better choice. Could always put in just the starting bid of 550.00 and maybe get it for that. You gotta do whats right for you...if not right time then dont do it... these labs are common on ebay....dont make a quick decision and regret it later. Dont buy it now if in middle of relocate...probably wont even be able to use it for a while...wait to get settled then get it when you can spend time with it. Keep watch on ebay some great deals come and go quickly....

Good Luck....

Hi, I know I am making it personal..but since I want to finish off CCNP before I go on a job search. And probably yeah you are right it is not a bad investment...i will keep an eye on the deals. what all routers do you suggest me to have with me if I get them individually...I have 2501 now..
Thanks
ss

I myself have a hodgepodge...1 1750, 2 1601, 1 831, 1 2611, 1 cat 1924, 1 cat 2950. Gotta get a place to set it all up and be able to leave it.....S.O. hates it when kitchen table looks like a computer second hand store.

The 1700 and 2600 series will work good for setting up vpn connections but i am not sure if the 2500 series will support that. Maybe good idea to get at least two routers for that purpose and the rest in the 2500 series. You should get one old style cat switch like the 1924 which is non-ios based and 1 newer ios based switch. Will need to know how to support both. If you have limited time a complete labe may be the better option as piecing it together will take a little more time. Maybe just start with 2 or 3 routers and the ios based switch and then expand from there as needed.

2950 and 2611 might be costly...I can make what exactly you have :p...but the thing is I would have atleast appreciated if any of my friends would have contributed 50% or atleast 40% ...anyways If I had a job I would have definetly grabbed the 750$ thingy...:p:D

They were a little pricy but I had a little time to be patient with. I picked up everything from ebay for great prices. Gotta call it a morning....(night gone)

Good Luck....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back