Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Buying backup hardware, suggestions????

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 29, 2003
US
We are looking to upgrade our backup hardware to better accomodate our ever increasing data. We are over 50 gig and are using DLT.

Looking at VXA-2 from exabyte???

Also looking at Scalar 100 from ADIC??

Any recomendations about either would be appreciated.

VXA-2 is cheap, but reliable??

You don't have a huge amount of data to backup,
VXA-2 is a cheap solution and offers nice throughtput and media capacities. It should be enough.

I don't have a lot of feedback regarding VXA problems, so no news is good news !

Hi, I/we have been using a Scalar 100 for the past 3 years and apart from a few drive replacements it been as good as gold

I've had great reliability with AIT technology. With 50G, you'll want an AIT-2 technology. Per Gig, I think it's cheaper than DLT. Quiet mechanism and smaller tapes (8mm variety, about $50/ea), and I think that the drives are self-cleaning, so supposedly there's little to no need for cleaning tapes. I think the transfer rate is superior to dlt as well.

SuperDLT is faster and has much higher compression and not that expensive. The SDLT 220 drives will read DLT7000 tapes (if that's what your using). So you can still access your current backups.

I've had my Exabyte VXA-2 2u 10pk auto loader for a month.

It has been nothing but one headache after the next. IO errors, bad blocks on tapes.

What's worse, it maybe that I just have a bum unit or sczi card, but their support is nearly impossible to get through to.

I suggest, before you even consider buying one, calling their support line and see how long it takes you to get through. It's shameful.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back