Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Buying a nV 8800

Status
Not open for further replies.

cjelec

Programmer
Jan 5, 2007
GB
Hi,

I've decided to upgrade my GPU, and I'm going to get a nVidia 8800 GTX 768MB :-D

But I am slightly confused with all of the different manufactures making the card (XFX, PNY, Asus, BFG, Leadtek...). Which one do I go for?

Is there performance/noise or other differences (specs aside) between the makers?

Thanks

Yo!

First of all, an Nvidia 8800 GTX, 768 MB?

SHOWOFF!!!

Anyway, and in all honesty, I spent two to three weeks reading a gazzillion reviews about customer service of all the companies you mentioned as I researched buying my humble AGP 8X upgrade.

The only way I could have read more reviews, would have been to research reviews by 18-24 year old males of Angelina Jolie in a Tomb Raider movie!

I was also concerned as much about customer service, as I was about the quality of the card I would eventually buy.

It was the Nvidia 7600 GT from XFX that I eventually purchased.

In all honesty, I spoke with XFX twice, and they were absolutely wonderful as to the attention they devoted to my issues, which were not major, or due to equipment malfunction.

Otherwise, on the basis of my extensive review and technical research, all of the companies you have mentioned get very high grades, at least from what I read from other reviewers, regarding customer service and attention.

I now await my $30 rebate from XFX, in which I am not anticipating any problem.

Anything else, let me know.

All the best,

DJSRC

Well, in my defence, my job involves a lot of graphics, and it is my business computer. [small]I may use one or two games[/small] ;-)

I don't know why I didn't think about the cust serv side of the companies... But like you said, they are all about the same.

I am starting to think that the only difference between them, is the picture on the case.

Thanks for your reply,

Well, what are you doing on that business computer, designing the Freedom Tower at the World Trade Center, single handedly?

Sheesh!

(Turns completely GREEN with jealosy, but not viewable online.)

Anyway, the companies you mentioned all appear to be in the same class, more or less, at least as far as CS goes, which I personally believe is extremely important in relation to how much of a frustration level one could be dealing with, potentially, when purchasing as important a peripheral piece of equipment as a graphics card is.

Let's face it, and not to give away any industry secrets, hehe, none of those companies make those cards themselves, at least as far as I can tell. They all use the same parts, in the same PRICE CLASS, unless the cost of the parts are that much more expensive, thereby increasing the cost basis of the product, which would readily be noticable in the final retail price of the product.

If a company has subcontracted their product to such a lame manufacturer, now almost always, or always outsourcing overseas, they would be getting tremendously bad reviews regarding noise, etc., therefore, they are all about the same quality, at the same price, notwithstanding the CS, and subsequent reviews.

The CS is the one factor, at least in my humble opinion, that I find critical, when selecting what part to go with.

(Now falls asleep on couch, after big meal, and too much wine, or whine?)

Hey cjelec!

I was talking with a friend of mine who is in NYC about the NV 8800 GTX. He mentioned this Craigslist link to me that he saw from yesterday:

I don't know who the manufacturer is, but it looks brand new, and the asking price is substantially below what I see listed as new on the Internet. It is certainly cheaper than the $639 that DELL is asking for it.

Check it out, and contact the seller if you like.

You could probably negotiate it down even better than $450, because he said that was the ASKING PRICE...

All the best, and good luck!

DJSRC

Hi djsrc

Thanks for that, I'll have a look.

Hi,

Well I went for a BFG one, Looks good...

But I have already faced proplems when testing it with Stalker, it worked alright for the first 2 times then:

3 Time) Lighting went a bit funny, flickering (Any changes to the settings would not remove it)
4 - 5 Time) BSOD and auto restart

Trying to install C&C3, but it wont install???

Anyone had this problem when upgrading GPU

Thanks

Most of the stock 8800 series cards are the same most use the standard Nvidia reference cooler design although Sparkle have a dual fan option
I chose XFX because of their double life time warranty(most countrys not Aus) but you have to register the card within 30 days of the purchase date

Congrats on the 8800!

Not to appear like a MOO (Master of Obvious), but sometimes even an exprerienced technophile leaves out, or neglects to add a crucial step.

(Via "Add & Remove Programs", in "Control Panel is the supposed safest and best way for both #1 & #2),

1-Did you COMPLETELY remove all of the program and registry entries of the previous GPU's sofware BEFORE you replaced the old card with the 8800?

2-Did you load the stock supplied, I assume on CD, 8800 software rather than going to the BFG website and getting the latest possible driver for your GPU first?

3-Are you competeley up to date on both your OS updates, and your sound card drivers?

I would think that you did all of that, and if so, I don't mean to insult your skills.

Anyway, if so, it's something for others who read this post, to hopefully keep in mind when loading a new GPU.

I know, I found out the hard way about that sort of thing over time.

Let us know if that could possibly have something to do with it.

All the best,

DJSRC

Thanks

I did find out today that most 8800 users with Stalker are facing problems similar to mine, so it suggests a developer fault.

I was using the on board graphics before inserting the card, and couldn't find the drivers on the list (rollback could of removed them, but didn't bother).

I haven't got around to updates due to net problems. I think I'll check now.

Thanks again

The major problem of card drivers arise, when they load the fancy stuff at start up (AutoStart items)... ergo clean out the autostart stuff and it should be hunky-dory...

I just got done, migrating XP professional from a Dual AthlonMP ASUS Mainboard with an AGP nVidia graphics card to a dual Opteron 285 Tyan board (different chipsets) with an PCI-X ATI graphics card... and forgot to deinstall the nVidia drivers, but no problems at all, due to the fact that I have always killed the nVidia Control Panel from autostarting...

Ben

"If it works don't fix it! If it doesn't use a sledgehammer..."

I installed the latest driver and nTune, the control panel is amazing.

Everything is now working, apart from Stalker with the updates (known app problem).

I would say, if you buy a new gpu install the drivers from the website, not from the disk. And uninstall the old drivers before fitting the new card, because sometimes windows removes the drivers off the Add/Remove Apps list when it sees the new card.

Thanks all.

if you buy a new gpu install the drivers from the website, not from the disk. And uninstall the old drivers before fitting the new card".

Hey, that's what I said to do!

That's copywhite incringment, or something like it!

I feel violated somehow!

Where's my attorney?

I truly believe there is a solid case here!

Where's the judge who sued for his lost suit pants for $60 million dollars?

Anyway, the NTune program is pretty cool, albeit a little complicated at times.

Did you notice on the "Manage 3D settings" tab, you can open it, and then go to "Program Settings", and then finetune STALKER, which is already listed in:"Select a program to override", and change just about any video setting that you wish, which will automatically load when you bootup STALKER?

That could possibly help you eliminate any further issues.

Good luck,

DJ

cjelec
I am a little intrigued, onboard graphics would make yours a mini ATX motherboard, correct? ready built? HP or similar?
I was just a little concerned about the PSU you are running! please tell me it's at least 500watts?
8800GTX's need a hell of a PSU to run properly.
Martin

We like members to GIVE and not just TAKE.
Participate and help others.

djsrc, sorry I was just summarizing the advice given and saying that it worked.

paparazi, it is custom build:

PC Spec:
Intel P4 630 ~3GHz (works as dual core, and clocks at 4.2GHz to 6.8GHz depending on load)
Gigabyte Mobo (GA-81945GMF)
2GB RAM
BFG 8800 GTX 786mb OC (Already said)
250gb & 120gb HDD Sata
DVD-RW
OCZ 600w SLI power supply
XP Pro (Still not wanting to upgrade)
Two 17" LCD Monitors
And more than enough fans

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search