Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Buying a new Gigabit Switch 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

omegabetax

Technical User
Jun 20, 2006
RO
Hi,

I need to buy a new CISCO switch with at least 2x1000Mbps ports.From the cisco.com site I've read about some models and I'm little bit confusing:

1.Catalyst 500-24TT have 24x10/100 and 2x10/100/1000 for uplink or server connectivity. Can I use for uplink any port?

2. catalyst 500-24PC have 20x10/100, 4x10/100 PoE for desktop, wireless access point, IP telephony, ot closed TV camera connectivity and 2x10/100 or Small Form-Factor Pluggable(SFP) ports for flexible uplink or server connectivity.

The PoE have some special? Are used even for desktop.
Can someone tell me what is SFP ?

Thanks

I need to buy a new CISCO switch with at least 2x1000Mbps ports
According to this your choice is switch 1. You can uplink from any port but you only get gigabit on the two ports supplying it. The second switch does not say it has any gig ports so that's out.
http://searchnetworking.techtarget.com/sDefinition/0,,sid7_gci753546,00.html
should help with the sfp question.

The answer is "42"

SFP stands for Small Form Factor Pluggable..... They are little modules that plug into switches and offer various connectivity options... You don't need to worry about these for your switch...

Darren Campbell
Technical Design Architect

Connecting to PoE port means the device get data and power too ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back