Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Buttonizing text

Status
Not open for further replies.

iao

Programmer
Feb 23, 2001
US
This might sound like a stupid question, but I am stumped. I am trying to buttonize some text. I checked and didn't see any duplicate posts, so I apolize if there are any.

I use the Text tool to type in text. Then when I am back at my picture, each text letter is selected (rather than just a block of area around the text). I then select the Images\Effects\Buttonize menu item, but it just won't work.

I can do the same with shadowing, blurring, etc. I don't know why I can't buttonize.

Any ideas on what I am doing wrong?

That is happening because you are placing your text as floating text. That means that the text is a foreground selection. Buttonize will not work on a foreground selection. You can do two things. You can invert the selection and the apply the buttonize option, or you can de-select by choosing Ctrl+d and then buttonize.

hth...mike
spin.gif

Ok, I must be stupid, but I tried both things, and both times, the entire area AROUND the text is buttonized, but not the buttons themselves.

So, let's start from scratch, here are my steps.

First, I open a new image. There is currently one layer, called background. I add a new layer and move it to the top of the list.

Now, I click on the text toolbar, and add text to the image. Each letter of the text is highlighted, and it is added as floating text.

If, at this point, I press CTRL-D (to unselect the text) and then buttonize, the entire image is buttonized, not just the text.

So, if istead, I first invert the selection, and then buttonized, the same thing happens.

Any thoughts on what I am doing wrong?

Sorry, you can not use the buttonize effect on text. You can get similar results using other effects, like inner and outer bevels.

mike

Ok, well at least now I don't feel so stupid.

Thanks so much for your help!

If raised, 3D looking text is all you are looking for, then inner bevel is definitely your key. If you want a shape, say, rectangle, around the text to look raised... then make a rectangular selection around the text.. then buttonize.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back