Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Button problems in Windows 2000 installation of Paradox 7

Status
Not open for further replies.

denknees

Technical User
Jul 25, 2003
PH
We had our installation of Paradox 7 in Windows 98 and it worked fine. However, when we upgraded one pc into Windows 2000, there were problems. Some buttoms does not appear. Isn't Paradox 7 compatible with Windows 2000?

I remember running P7 under Win 2000 when it first released and noticing that the GUI was seriously affected. You can try out Lance's suggestions in the tech. doc. but I think that might only apply to XP and NT. I mentioned it to the head of Paradox at the time and got the equivalent of a shoulder shrug i.e. it was designed to run on Win 95. I don't know enough about the Win 2000 graphics engine to suggest anything useful. Sorry !

Darragh Quinn

thanks guys, i'll check the footpad's suggestion...

Darragh,

Remember that Windows 2000 is based on the NT kernel. I won't say the two tips I mentioned in the article are the only ones for this problem, however, they've worked in most of the situations I've seen.

As far as the shoulder shrug goes, well, that's the nature of the development process. After all, what's more important? Pulling an old build out of the archive and updating it to work or making sure the problem is fixed in the present version? I can certainly see two sides of the problem, but given that Paradox 7.32 was relelased some five years before Windows 2000, it's pretty easy to make the case that there are diminishing returns--especially when you're development staff is limited and there are far larger issues in the current code base (Example: Printing).

Also, given that there are workarounds available, it does make a certain amount of sense to lower the priority of that one--especially given the twisted nature of the Paradox 7.32 patching process (which, to my mind, was the most difficult patch to apply of the bunch).

Yet another thought to think about...

-- Lance

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back