Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Button help! 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

jaSun

Technical User
Apr 26, 2001
US
Let me start off by saying that I am REALLY new to Flash, and am still struggling with the basics! Here is my problem:

I made a button in Flash 5 and converted it to a symbol....I think ;-) The button works fine and I was able to get some simple action script to make it function, but I'm having a heck of a time exporting/publishing it! My button looks great in Flash, but when I try to add the exported SWF version to a web page, I cannot figure out how to control the size of the button. In other words, my 127px X 31px button becomes about 500px X 400px on the web page!

I guess my questions are this: Can you export/publish a symbol &quot;only&quot; in Flash? I think I am having troubles with the sizing of the entire &quot;movie&quot;. For example, if I specify the correct height and width params. in the <object> tag, the button itself becomes the correct size, but the &quot;background&quot; or rest of the movie remains huge.

I am sure that there is a MUCH better way of doing things, so please....FIRE AWAY! Thanks in advance for any help.

Jason

Try using width & height set to 100% in both the <object> & <embed> tags.
Of course, you should also make sure the size of your movie is set to what you want... Under MODIFY->MOVIE. The default, if you haven't changed it, is 550*400. Scaling that movie with the above method would then give you an embedded movie of 550*400, but the button drawn, using that movie size, would stay in proportion.

;-)

Ahhhhhh... That sounds like good advice. As for symbols, is there any way to export only symbols or &quot;pieces&quot; of a movie as .swf? Let's say that I make a movie using many buttons or other objects, and later decide that I'd like to export them to a web page. Is there a way to save each object/symbol as an individual .swf file?

Thanks again...

You can have numerous individual .swf files embedded in one web page... It can be as small as you want it to be... One button, one banner, one line of text. Just design each movie the size you want it to be.
Of course the embedding would be a little different... You would have to use a frameset or tables to accomplish that.

;-)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back