Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Button for mail merge

Status
Not open for further replies.

jsgs

Instructor
Aug 22, 2008
I need to add to my form a command button that on the background runs an existing query gets the results and merges the names and addresses in that query with a word document that also already exists. I know how to do it manually, using tools in the database window but I want the form to be accessible also to non-computer people who do not know the mail merge procedure. Is this possible?

Thanks in advance.

Why not simply have a mailmerge word template with your query as source ?

Hope This Helps, PH.
FAQ219-2884
FAQ181-2886

Actually it's a parameter query. I've tried to do it from Word but when it displays the dialog box for selecting the source data, the query which I want to use is not in the list.

Now I've tried to do it from Access by using the Office Links option. Again I get the error message "Word cannot open the source".

Am using Access 03.

I've done this recently, by creating a table 'merge'. Code then:

1. Deletes all records from the merge table
2. Runs an insert query with the appropriate parameters to populate the merge table.

In my case, the users have a selection or Word merge templates I created for them, so they pick whichever they need via Word.

You may prefer to programmatically open an instance of Word yourself via Access, and fully create the merge doc for your users.

Max Hugen
Australia

Actually I'm not very at ease with Access and writing code to do the things which you've mentioned Seethru and Max is way too advanced for me. I'm still beginning with Access. Am gonna investigate a bit to see if I can do these without having to write any code. Will come back to you should I need help. Thanks a lot.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back