Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Busmaster from Dual PCI IDE Controller 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

HAG

Programmer
Aug 29, 2000
GB
Hi All
In trying to get a Win98 system to recognise a External Zip100 drive I installed a Via Busmaster driver, it didn't help but changed the Hard disk controller to a "SiS 5513 Dual PCI IDE Controller" which does not recognise the CD Rom either!

How can I reinstall the drivers to the familliar "Primary" "Secondary" ?

THX
Hag

what bus is the zip drive connected to externally? using the Parallel port? - If so - the drivers on the 98 CDROM for that -- The file Ppa3.mpd for the parallel Zip drive is included on the Windows 98 compact disc, in the drivers section of \Storage\Iomega\PPA3 (you can update the driver manually).

to reinstate your orig. Busmaster IDE Controller , assuming you had one, with the Zip and other peripherals disconnected - Boot into Safe mode and go into Device Manager and Remove the Controller - reboot - the appropriate one should get detected and reinstalled when you reboot.

TT4U

Notification:
These are just my thoughts....and should be carefully measured against other opinions.
Backup All Important Data/Docs

TekTippy4U you are a *** Star ***
Busmaster back in place with Pri & Sec, CD-Rom back
Guess I couldn't see the wood for the trees !

Which brings me back to my original problem with the Zip

It's a External Z100 USB Drive
Ive been to Iomega and downloaded & installed the drivers
but it still will not recognize the drive
Any ideas ?
THX
Hag

hi HAG;
great - we're halfway home....
Now - you seem to have a USB Host Controller problem
First - (and I'm not that familiar with the VIA chipset) - perhaps you need the 4 in 1 Mobo Chipset drivers...In Device Manager, does it say (similar to ) -->
"Intel 82371AB/EB PCI to USB Universal Host Controller" ..obviously VIA though - and
"USB Root Hub"
You should Disconnect all USB devices (list whatever else was hooked up - mouse, keyboard, printer?)...Reboot
Go into Device Manager and "View devices by type"
expand the USB branch area and look now.

Did anything on USB work previously?
Is this a diff PCI USB 2.0 add-in Card you've installed?
if so when? - and did it ever work?

If the Mobo built in USB, it's usually only 1.1 (up to 2000 atleast only had 1.1 support) on an older sys....was this system upgraded to 98 from 95?

Does the Iomega say Only USB 2.0 ? - ANY 2.0 device SHOULD work on the older 1.1 Bus, just at the much slower 1.1 speed.

Is this 98 SE?
or is it 98 FE (First Edition) - there are updates for 98 concerning USB - did you try updating recently?

Consider picking up a cheap USB 2.0 card, if your USB mobo ports work fine otherwise - USB can be a serious issue if it wasn't supported/installed correctly "during" the 98 Setup routine, and trying to fix it "may" make it worse....and you may "not" ever be able to get 2.0 speeds, just b/c the Hardware won't allow it possibly
http :// has many specific articles and fixes for USB probs - have a gander

also - Specific to AMD and VIA from MS;

and "unofficial" Win98 SE updates for consideration

think about it very carefully before taking any action and read through the material - and BACK UP your data somehow first...PLEASE

HTH

TT4U

Notification:
These are just my thoughts....and should be carefully measured against other opinions.

oh - and IF you're going to do the MS updates (even the VIA specific one) First, uninstall ALL the Iomega stuff, including the Drivers.....then Remove the Device/s Iomega put there after Booting into Safe mode, and remove them from Device Manager if necessary..
Then do your MS update...reboot
and then Reinstall all the Iomega stuff

another tip; whenever installing Any software, use ctrl+alt+del to bring up Task manager and End Task 1 by 1 on all, Except EXPLORER, and SYSTRAY...then start the installation

TT4U

Notification:

Hi again
Wow that's a stack of info !!!
Starting from the top

I tried the 4in1 chipset drivers, they are the ones that got me into trouble with the Busmaster drivers !
Now think this is a SiS host (see below) there is nothing on the Mobo or chips at all only "A9" and that's it!!!

Mine reads "SiS 7001 PCI to USB Open Host Controller"

Since I've regained my CD-Rom drive (THX Again) I've been able to install the drivers for my Memory stick, which is working fine

On board USB (about 1998) home built (not me) but cannot work out which Mobo

Think it was 98 install & not upgrade

Think it's a USB V1.1 dated 2001, works fine on my system and uses driver "USBSTOR.SYS"

Win98 - do recall an article about USB problems & Zip drive problems with 98

Am reluctant to upgrade as it is my friends system and she use's it for book keeping accounts (Sage line50 & Sage payroll) so I want to save the data first, which is why I have the system in the first place, as she wanted to save to the Zip!!!

Yep agree with that ! trying to fix it DOES make it worse !!!

Have used http :// before, great site well worth the bookmark and guess what's there

"The SiS PCI/USB Host Controller can be difficult to configure and seemingly unrelated BIOS settings can adversely effect its operation. This is especially true of the 7001. Most older SiS motherboards suffer from USB issues."

Yep 7001 my little bugger!

Taking your advice what I am thinking of doing is to get my friend to save all her data to my (now working THX 2 U) memory stick and then going for a format and install of 98SE to bypass, I hope, the problems

Many THX 4 your help & patience

Hag

your very welcome HAG;
and I must say - smart moves on your part. Problems can be very independent upon the Mobo and chipset offering at the time it was made. Fortunately, on a very late '99 intel model, I haven't yet had USB issues, and it works fine, but slow, with usb 2.0 devices. I knew that many probs can occur though, so I was reluctant to say -->"argh...rip it out - it's 'gotta' work"

rock on

TT4U

Notification:

alternate;
since you have the cdrom working properly again - consider tossing in a nice new internal CDRW drive (they're fairly cheap as you know). Lite-ons are nice and cheap, work well, and come with Ahead's Nero Burning ROM software usually. I happen to use an External USB CDRW, but they're more expensive. Even a new Internal Hard drive is cheaper and will work great for backing up. Obviously the Burning CDRW drive will also offer more opportunities like making CDs [smile]

TT4U

Notification:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back