Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Business Rule is Non-unique but Unique box is Checked? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

stewm

MIS
Oct 10, 2003
CA
Good morning Cognosers! I might have a bit of a predicament here.

I have a data model and within one dimension the lowest level is a patient ID number. There is a measure to count the patient ID. Up until now this has been unique.

Dimension Account Alignment:

Cam Territory
Cam Short Name
Cam Value1
Cam Value2
Cam Value3
External Facility Name
Patient ID <Unique>

I've been told...

Patients can now belong to multiple Cam Territories.

Question: Can the dimension handle that if the patient ID is unique?

Transformer is not allowing me to uncheck the unique box for patient ID level since it has a measure to count Patient ID.

Any feedback or discussion on this would be welcome.

Thank you,

Mark Stewart
Senior Analyst
Consultants Club Corp.
Windsor, Ontario
Canada

Hi,

I am a bit surprised that you are not getting errors when you create you cube with Patient ID set unique and it not unique. Is the uniqueness verification under properties on the data sources unchecked?

I think you may have to delete the way you get the measure doing a category count on that dimension, unset Patient ID as unique and allocate the fact by adding in another data source to your model and doing the calculation another way.

Mayo4Sam

Thanks Mayo,

I'll try to head down that path you described perhaps then. Yes, I am getting errors because of the patient alignment changes. Thanks,

Mark Stewart
Senior Analyst
Consultants Club Corp.
Windsor, Ontario
Canada

Do you want the patient that crosses territories to be counted twice, once per territory. If so, then you will want to change the source field to be a combination of territory-patientid. If the patient should not be counted per region, then which region should get the count credit, and yes, an external query would probably have to provide that information

Cstarpdx, thanks that may be exactly the approach we'll use. I scheduled a meeting with the business analyst to make them aware of the impact. I'll let you know what happens. I actually found out that the patient actually crosses CAM Value1 (a couple of levels down) but it's the same thing basically.

Mark Stewart
Senior Analyst
Consultants Club Corp.
Windsor, Ontario
Canada

I went ahead when all was said and done and used the CAM Territory + Cam Value1 + Patient ID approach. Cubes are off running. Thanks for the responses.

Mark Stewart
Senior Analyst
Consultants Club Corp.
Windsor, Ontario
Canada

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back