Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Business Productivity Kit

Status
Not open for further replies.

jay0

IS-IT--Management
Jan 25, 2007
IE
Hi I have a database setup it is just a edited version of the Business Productivity Kit. What happens is when I add a contact lets say John Murphy everything works fine. But in this database I need to add maybe five or six different John Murphy's with different address's. When I go to sales orders and lookup John Murphy it only shows one John Murphy even though there are 6 in the contacs. Any ideas how I can show all 6 John Murphy's??????

Jay0,

I don't use the Business Productivity Kit myself but I do have a copy of it and I think I know what the problem is.

The drop down list only shows unique values. Since John Murphy occurs more than once it only show the first entry from the contacts database.

Just curious, how would you know which one to choose if their names are exactly the same yet they are different people?

-Striker

When in contacts if i do a search for john murphy and click find it will brings me to list view with all john murphy's listed and I can see the address's. I was hoping to do something like that in sales orders or if you have a better way to do this please let me know??

You might try this. In the Contacts module you could change the "Full Name" field from this calculation:

First Name & " " & Last Name

To this calculation:

First Name & " " & Last Name & " (" & City 1 & ")"

This should make all "John Murphys" appear on the list as long as they have different cities. If you have two or more in the same city then you're back in the same situation again. You could also use a field other than city like maybe phone number or company name if that makes more sense for you.

At this point I should wave the caution flag because making this change *may* have unintended consequences. Since I'm not familiar with the "BPK" it's dificult for me to know exactly what the full implications are without analyzing the entire system which would take some time. I don't *think* it would be disasterous to go ahead and try the change because you could revert back to the original calculation.

Hope this helps.

-Striker

Thanks very much TStriker that works but when I print an invoice it show city after the name

Yeah, that would fit the "unintended consequences" concern quite nicely.

My first thought is to 'essentially' recreate the original field but use a different field name. Maybe something like 'Last First Only' and make the calculation exactly like the original calculation. Then change your printed report so that it uses the newly created field rather than the original field.

-Striker

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back