Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Business Element Manager on Linux Distributions, revisited 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

SaHVXblGCpUl5GXm9JsE

Technical User
Oct 31, 2013
GB
thread1361-1629643
This can be done, and I have Element Manager 62.0.0,3,5 running on OS X 10.6.4, and my xUbuntu netbook. Sadly BCM Monitor isn't portable however.

I wrote a replacement script for the original windows batch script, and installed (on ubuntu dists) default-jre first. It didn't work on the original xUbuntu 12.04.4 dist, but after removing some useless fonts and other odd stuff, it did work, and is repeatable. Your mileage will vary, but it's certainly possible. On OS X, with a relatively late Java installed, it just ran. (No, I don't mean you double-click a windows icon) A friend tried out my kit who has Ubuntu (and new to linux) on a laptop (not the x 'lite' version as I mention) and it worked first time.

EM is writtten in Java, and with some coaxing, it is truly portable with a decent Java Runtime Environment.

If anyone's interested, say so and I'll post the rest. Otherwise, I'll leave it be.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back