Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Business Casual 6

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welshbird

IS-IT--Management
Jul 14, 2000
DE
My company have just announced that we are to change to a set dress code. At present, I am reasonably casual for work, but not dressed-down, and apparently everything I wear for work will be inappropriate under the new rules.

I generally wear trousers styled like jeans but never in denim, and a shirt, together with shoes (never trainers). I always thought that this DID count as busiess casual!

I feel really quite affronted by this, as I have been transfered from another part of the group with no option but to go. Previously I usually worked at home, and ALWAYS in casual attire.

I'm beginning to feel that all of the reasons I took my current job have vanished. I liked it originally because I was never customer facing; I worked from home with flexible hours and I could dress casually. Now I am expected to be customer facing part of the time, always be in the office between 8:30 and 5 and dress in 'business casual'.

Am I just being difficult?

I wondered if anyone else had experience of this. I don't want to be overly political and fight agains it all just for the sake of it; and I do like my job (in general) and am very fond of many of my colleagues.

It does just feel that my favourite 'perks' of the job have vanished. And also not working from home and having to buy a new wardrobe puts me out-of-pocket!

I'd appreciate views /opinions/advice. Thanks.

Fee

The question should be [red]Is it worth trying to do?[/red] not [blue] Can it be done?[/blue]

I'm glad that is sorted out then. I just hope the IT department can submit the cleaning bill as paid expense. Those business suits don't last a week when crawling under desks to plug monitors into PCs.

Pascal.

Fee,

I just discussed this with Danielle (she's in HR) and she says your boss can't 'send you home without pay' for something like this.

You could reasonably raise a grievance regarding the new code, even in advance of it being introduced, and try and thrash out a compromise - after that they (your employers) would need to start a disciplinary procedure against you if you failed to comply. This all assumes that they have given you 'reasonable notice' and that the requirement itself is 'reasonable' too.

There are general exceptions for things like Health and Safety (hard hats, goggles, hair nets), and for 'grossly inappropriate dress' (such as sitting in your underwear).

Dan suspects this would look poor in a tribunal though, i.e. the new rules would eventually prove unenforceable, because there will always be individual variations anyway - for religious reasons and other potential discriminatory aspects - so any policy will have to build in 'safeguards' to allow for them or it will fall foul of the employment laws.

Dan's advice is to come to work dressed as smartly as you feel comfortable with, and have the wardrobe to maintain from week to week, and ask if that is acceptable - and if it isn't ask why, and then try to negotiate. If all that doesn't work, raise a grievance with your HR representative.

Bit formal, but companies are very short sighted sometimes.

Good luck

Regards

Griff
Keep [Smile]ing

Thanks for that Griff.

That's really helpful.

Apparently we are in the consultation phase prior to the office move at the moment, but it doesn't feel so much like consulting; as the plans are the plans are the plans.

La.

Might be looking around soon.

Fee

The question should be [red]Is it worth trying to do?[/red] not [blue] Can it be done?[/blue]

If they're changing your dress code, are they offering a dress allowance?

A professional woman, such as yourself, couldn't possibly be expected to wear tat - simply to conform to a dress edict. I'd see you as a Jaeger woman, you're worth it ! [smile]

Rosie
"Don't try to improve one thing by 100%, try to improve 100 things by 1%

I might ask about that.

Everyone else will get a raise to pay for the extra travel you see, and I won't because I'm nearer now.

But most people in my office wear business smart now, and I don't, cos I was tupe'd over here from another company so brought my T&C's with me.

I doubt it will work, but its worth a try isn't it?

Fanks Aunty Rosie!

Fee

I work at a place that doesn't have a specific dress code (yay) and it's really up to the employee how they want to dress, unless you are a manager/director,etc. Of course if you looked and smelled like Pig Pen, they would probably send you home...or call Pest Control on you.

You will see some people with a ballcap and jeans, others with dress attire.

I prefer to wear a tie because I think it's more professional. Everyone has their own opinion on this.

I've never worked in an environment where they demanded employees to "dress down".

I'm a male, but it is true, changing dress codes are more traumatic for women than for men...and should be.

As for a company forking over a clothing allowance, I don't this would apply in a casual business attire atmosphere. I would tend to think everyone would have a few threads of this sort in their closet ;)

I wouldn't really like to work at a place where everyone had to dress exactly the same way. It would seem to destroy individuality. At that point they may as well hand out uniforms.

When a company devises a whole set of dress code standards, I start to think that maybe Human Resources HAS TOO MUCH TIME ON THEIR HANDS...;)

I disagree...Dress codes IMHO are put into place by HR because some people may not understand what professional attire is. I've seen outside sales girls arrive with mini skirts and thongs showing. I've seen other people show up to work with food and paint stains on their shirts or bottoms with clothing torn.

Also the type of clothing you do wear is reflective of the business your in. If you worked at a bank for example, as a customer would you hand over your entire checking and savings account based on the recommendation of someone with a nose ring, mohawk, and tattoos showing with a concert shirt on of Godsmack? Or to someone dressed in suit, tie, pants, clean hair, etc?

On the individuality issue - I hear that all the time from teenagers - fortunately, mine were trained from an early age to think more deeply...

If what you wear is the key to your individuality, I would be very concerned. Individuality should be a factor of integrity, intellect, personality, optimism, and other winsome characteristics that make a person individual.

It is like the kids I see hanging out – all dressed in black, smoking, looking, talking, and acting exactly the same – so that they don’t conform.

Companies can (and will) change dress code as they see fit – usually it is a market or performance driven response.

If you were hired in January, and the dress code was casual, and then in February they make a determination that a more “professional” (suit and tie) environment is what they want/need – buck up and buy the clothing or find a new job. If there are 5, 10, 50, 100, 500 other employees, it is highly unlikely they changed the dress code after you were hired just to “trap you” So don’t take it or make it personal.

If individuality is what you seek, be an optimistic, over-producer, willing to go the extra mile, share your knowledge with your peers, respect and speak highly of management, place the company’s needs/desires in front of your own, never complain, always willing to be teachable, life is what it is but my attitude is my own, stop and help the guy pushing his car out of the street and buy him gas, befriend the lonely person, type of person and employee.

Believe me – you will stick out like a sore thumb and will be an “individual” that people will not soon forget.

Or not. It’s your choice – you’re an individual.

Matthew Moran (career blog and podcast below)
Career Advice with Attitude for the IT Pro

Dress codes are like speed limit signs, they are there but rarely enforced unless someone goes way over the limit.

<quote>
If you worked at a bank for example, as a customer would you hand over your entire checking and savings account based on the recommendation of someone with a nose ring, mohawk, and tattoos showing with a concert shirt on of Godsmack? Or to someone dressed in suit, tie, pants, clean hair, etc?
</quote>

Actually I'd take the Godsmack person if they were the more competent of the two. The difference between me and maybe some other is that I'm not going to judge someone's job performance or ability by their garb.

<quote>
On the individuality issue - I hear that all the time from teenagers - fortunately, mine were trained from an early age to think more deeply...
</quote>

Hmmm...smells nefariously like a personal attack there. Frankly it's downright debasing to receive insults from a "ne'er do well" in a chat room forum.

Perhaps you may want to target your own judgmental attacks on people you know well, like your family, instead of strangers in a chat room.

No, not a personal attack. You would have to read the balance of my post in this forums and others to understand.

Believe me, if I were attacking you personally, your name would have made it into my post - very specifically - no ambiguity. It is unnecessary.

It is a conversation we have had in our family since our kids were young - involving dress code - involving tattoos, jewelry, hairstyle, attitude, etc. In our house there is almost complete freedom of all of those but due to ongoing conversations about what makes an individual, it has never been an issue. I anticipate it will be either.

It would seem to destroy individuality. At that point they may as well hand out uniforms.

Ah, and everyone wearing jeans, that's individuality ?

Because I don't suppose you go to work in shorts ?

The uniforms are already there. Consultants wear suits and ties, as managers do. The rest wear whatever they feel their peers will accept, how's that for having a uniform ?

Pascal.

Hm..I was speaking more of if you had never dealt with either before in my example. You walk into a bank for the first time and you see the two people...one in a godsmack tshirt, nose ring, mohawk, hasn't showered in a week, etc, and the other person dressed in a business suit, tie, clean appearance, clean shaver, etc. Who do hand your money over to?

Besides, IMO individuality is overrated. In a world where we mass produce items such as clothing it's hard to be an individual.

Sorry, I had a root canal go bad on me this week so maybe I took things the wrong way. Unfortunately there isn't an Unsend button here lol

I perused your web site(s) blog(s) over the weekend. You definitely have a track record of excellence in the IT industry. You are the direct opposite of a "ne'er do well".

That said, I will gracefully bow out of this particular thread.

No need to apologize. I am, unfortunately, often very direct and write-submit prior to total impact is determined. My wife says I do this to people all the time - when my intent is to be helpful, I become a sort of battering ram of advice - typically, unrequested.

Shameless plug/request...
If you checked out the site and other info and enjoyed it, take time to subcribe (rss, not email) and hopefully the information can be helpful to you or someone you know..

Thanks.

Final Update from me (who started it all...)

I've agreed to move to the new office and to conform to the new dress code, and my boss has agreed that I should do this 3 days a week and spend 2 days a week working at home.

She's also agreed to a pay increase to make sure she keeps me.

So, all in all it ended well for me, and in her opinion for her (and therefore the company) too.

We've also agreed not to change anything until we do move in 3 months, so I have a little while to shop (and lose some more weight first!)

Compromising seems to have worked well here. Vive la France!

Fee

Well done you!

Remember that "smart" doesn't have to mean "posh", particularly if the weight's still going down, I'm a total convert to Primark for work stuff since we got one locally.

"Your rock is eroding wrong." -Dogbert

Interestingly, the comic strip Cathy has been dedicated to dress codes this past week. Congratulations.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back