Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Business Casual 6

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welshbird

IS-IT--Management
Jul 14, 2000
DE
My company have just announced that we are to change to a set dress code. At present, I am reasonably casual for work, but not dressed-down, and apparently everything I wear for work will be inappropriate under the new rules.

I generally wear trousers styled like jeans but never in denim, and a shirt, together with shoes (never trainers). I always thought that this DID count as busiess casual!

I feel really quite affronted by this, as I have been transfered from another part of the group with no option but to go. Previously I usually worked at home, and ALWAYS in casual attire.

I'm beginning to feel that all of the reasons I took my current job have vanished. I liked it originally because I was never customer facing; I worked from home with flexible hours and I could dress casually. Now I am expected to be customer facing part of the time, always be in the office between 8:30 and 5 and dress in 'business casual'.

Am I just being difficult?

I wondered if anyone else had experience of this. I don't want to be overly political and fight agains it all just for the sake of it; and I do like my job (in general) and am very fond of many of my colleagues.

It does just feel that my favourite 'perks' of the job have vanished. And also not working from home and having to buy a new wardrobe puts me out-of-pocket!

I'd appreciate views /opinions/advice. Thanks.

Fee

The question should be [red]Is it worth trying to do?[/red] not [blue] Can it be done?[/blue]

I've just been emailed the new dress code, and its now apparently to be business 'smart'. Not having the best day here!

Fee

The question should be [red]Is it worth trying to do?[/red] not [blue] Can it be done?[/blue]

Ouch, I know how you feel. The dress code here is 'smart', which apparently means shirt/tie/trousers. I refused the tie and have been waiting four years for someone with actual authority to call me up on it.

Carlsberg don't run I.T departments, but if they did they'd probably be more fun.

My boss has told me that she will send me home and not pay me if I don't conform. (And we are actually quite good friends!)

Fee

Ouch indeed.

My first IT employer required full business dress - suited & booted at all times.
My second required business casual: smart shoes, smart trousers, shirt but no tie required (tie to be kept in drawer).

After writing a couple of poorly documented but critical internal systems I waged a subtle war of attrition and got away with cotton jeans from Next that (from a distance) looked like smart trousers, a v-neck polo shirt, black heavy boots.
Luckily a like-minded boss and directors who never sullied themselves through contact with the lower classes helped :)

Currently I'm sat at work in Converse baseball boots, black denim jeans and a black t-shirts (no point in playing spot-the-former-Goth at my desk [blush]). Occassionally if released into the wild to visit a customer site I replace the t-shirt with a branded polo shirt - that's as business smart as I get. Rumour has it I may need to wear a suit once a year for an annual "meet the users" meeting somewhere down the way.

TazUk

[pc] Blue-screening PCs since 1998

We are a casual office, but no denim (except on Friday). No trainers/athletic shoes (again, except on Friday). Shirts must have a collar (golf shirts OK, no T-shirts).

Feles mala! Cur cista non uteris? Stramentum novum in ea posui!

Wow! I don't mean to sound harsh but your sounding a bit whiney.

If a business wants you to wear shirt and tie - buck up and do it. It is appropriate for them to ask this much. Of course, it is easy for me to say, I work out of my house much of time and am currently (today) in a t-shirt, shorts, and no shoes.

However, that being said, when I go into clients, I try to wear slacks, dress shirt (no tie in most cases) or at least nice tucked in casual shirt. My shoes are always dress shoes and I keep a tie in my laptop case. There are times I meet with vendors on their behalf. They are business casual but I make it a point to dress as professionally or more so (never less so) than person who I am reporting to reports to (does that make sense).

Studies indicate an increase in productivity with better dress standards. Are there exception? Sure. Are you one of them? Maybe. But the fact is that companies must ultimately apply standards across the board - in most cases. There are times that I dress a little more professional when working out of my house - not because the dress makes me more professional, but when dressed a bit more professional, I am less likely to be dragged away by my kids, my dogs, my wife, etc. to play.

I would focus instead on the type of work, the people I work with, the opportunities for growth, the pay, the benefits, etc. If the culture is changing from fun productive to stoic (boring) where production is undervalued/unrewarded - then it is time to move elsewhere. Not due to dress code but due to those other factors.

Matthew Moran (career blog and podcast below)
Career Advice with Attitude for the IT Pro

I agree Matthew - Maybe I sound a bit 'whiney'.

But it isn't so much the principle of wearing business dress that annoyed me; It's the number of changes to my t&c's to which I have had no say or input.

I've just reached the point where I wonder if I would apply for the job I currently have and I probably wouldn't. And I generally believe that you should always be making an informed decision to stay rather than having to make a decision to go.

It's interesting to note that you are sitting at home in shorts and a t-shirt when you offer me such profound advice! (And I don't mean that disrespectfully in any way.)

I guess I have to work out the pro's and con's and then hae a look around to see what else is available and whether I'd feel happpier there instead.

(I do ALWAYS where business dress when I go to clients, but that used to be specifically contracted as not part of my remit. Another thing bites the dust...)

Fee

Ugh, try being female and having to conform to a dress code (skirts must be a certain length, shoes must either be this or that, do capris count as legit pants or shorts?). Men can be so lucky sometimes...shirt, shoes, khakis or business suits. No worry of open toe shoes, how low cut the shirt is, if their pants show off too much ankle...

Anyhoo when it comes to dressing for work, its different from place to place. "Business Casual" can mean polos and khaki pants, but someplaces might allow you to leave the dress coat at home and where a shirt and tie and count that as B.C.

Personally I rarely wear jeans to work....even on jeans Friday. I don't feel like I'm at work unless I'm dressed for work.

How quickly have all of these changes taken place from the date of your hire? 6 months? a Year? 2 years? Sounds to me like they might be having some employee issues that they have to make changes for everyone OR they are simply going through higher management changes, thus the changes of your job, dress, etc.

Agreed. No disrespect taken. I am sitting at home - more casual than usual. I started work at 1:30AM this morning so I am cutting myself some slack.

If I have a client who requires suit/tie - that is what I wear. If I have a client who requires business casual - that is what I wear. I would NEVER where my current attire to any client - even if they said I could - that is just me.

My point is that the focus should be on the work environment - people, projects, opportunities, and compensation. If those are great but they want a suit and tie - do it.

If those are problematic, casual or no, time to look elsewhere.

Matthew Moran (career blog and podcast below)
Career Advice with Attitude for the IT Pro

Part of the problem, as I see it, is when our employer expects something new from us. Human nature says: "Hey! That wasn't part of the deal." Once you get over the shock and remind yourself that things do change, the other part may be more pragmatic.

My husband works maintenance and normally wears a T-shirt with company logo and jeans. Bear in mind that his job is routinely hard on clothing what with tears, paint, grease, and so on. The boss decided that the company dress code should be clothing with no stains or rips.

To my way of thinking, this policy should have been more for office staff since they deal with the public. For maintenance, this entailed an entirely new wardrobe (which is not financially feasible for many people). For jeans that means you might only get one or two weeks use before the they become unacceptable which means buying many more work clothes than before. The T-shirts, since supplied by the company, were another problem since they had no more in stock.

My husband steadfastly ignored this dress code and told management, when they hand out new shirts then he will buy new jeans. One year later he is still waiting... seems it is easier to make a new policy than to fork over the money yourself. Perhaps time will work in your favor if the new policy does not work out quite as planned.

[sup]Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance.[/sup][sup] ~George Bernard Shaw[/sup]
Consultant Developer/Analyst Oracle, Forms, Reports & PL/SQL (Windows)
My website: Emu Products Plus

LadySlinger FYI Wilif is female !!!!

I have changed from a working environment where if I had to visit a supplier / make an impression etc I was expected to dress up, not fully suited & booted, but Smart -- with the rest of the time being virtually anything (they got a bit off when someone(not me) came in in shorts!!), the majority of the time, being jeans, trainers, T-Shirt.

Now I have to be smart all the time, except if I'm expected to shift loads of equipment. So for movesit's jeans and a company branded polo and the rest of the time "slacks"/trousers with shirt&tie or decent dress shirt with no tie.

I think the point here is not so much the "I don't want to wear that" but the lack of participation in the change over there apears to have (not) been.

Fee Go home, have a G&T and get the local rag for the employment section :) [cheers]

<Do I need A Signature or will an X do?>

Oh...please excuse me as I go crawl under a rock now. Today is just a day that I need to go back to bed...

please accept my apologies wilif!!

LadySlinger Here have a large G&T too :) [cheers]

<Do I need A Signature or will an X do?>

No Probs LadySlinger at all!

I did go and have a large glass (whole bottle) of Shiraz, and today I am still wearing what I always wear to work.

It really isn't the clothes, its the principle of so much change.

We're also moving offices, and I have since discovered that the new dress code is only for our floor! Other floors in the building for other parts of the group of companies (all owned by one company) have completely different dress codes.

Grrrrrr

Well, I'm just going to keep my head down, do what I do, and keep my eyes open for other opportunities.

Fee

How interesting! I'm going today to sit on an advisory committee at my daughter's high school on the dress code! When school started, I recieved information that the kids' clothing couldn't violate the 6 Bs (Butts, breasts, bellies, boxers....and I can't remember the other two, but you get the idea!). Since then the kids have been told that they can't wear 'spaghetti strap' shirts. So, a committee has been formed to create a formalized 'dress code' that parents, teachers AND students will be involved in.

I think I'll print this out and share some of it! Let them know they'll be fighting dress code policy the REST OF THEIR WORKING LIVES!!!! It never stops!

[rofl]

Leslie

Anything worth doing is a lot more difficult than it's worth - Unknown Induhvidual

Essential reading for anyone working with databases:
The Fundamentals of Relational Database Design
Understanding SQL Joi

Well, this is the dress code I've been given. Compared to right now when I'm wearing a (smart) long-sleeved t-shirt (no logo, would go under a suit jacket, some brown cotton 'jeans', and jodphur boots.

Acceptable clothing
Business suits
Tailored trousers
Blazers
Tops that are designed to be worn under a suit jacket
Smart separates
Smart religious dress, eg hijab, turban
Dress shirts (with or without tie, long or short-sleeved)
Shirts with a collar
Unacceptable clothing
"Combat" style trousers
Leggings
Shorts
Denim skirts or jeans (definition: external seams, studs, patch pockets)
T-shirts/shirts without collars
Trainers/tennis shoes
Cropped tops/exceptionally low cut tops
Sweatshirts/"Polo"-style shirts
Very short skirts

Pah humbug...

Fee

Perhaps you could request a transfer to the other floor.

[slightly off topic]
My kids private school had an easy dress code for shirts:

For both boys and girls the shirts must be clean, have no tears, have no writing and must have a collar.

Twenty years later not one of the four of them will wear a button down shirt!
[/slightly off topic]

Seems there is a bit of a whiney feel to the thread. I spent 10 years of my working life in a uniform. Granted, it was military, but that was required for me to do my job(if your wondering, I spent 3 years on recruiting duty, so I wore my dress uniform daily for those 3 years). Currently, I work with slacks, and a button up shirt daily. Even on dress down days. The only exception would be when I am running cable, or moving servers (chance of tears happening). This is quite exceptable. However, it is not required. I could very well wear jeans every day, but choose not to, as dressing professionally has been imprinted on my psyche early in life.

As of now, I don't think it is an unreasonable request to have a business smart dress code. If you don't like it, suggest looking elsewhere. Being in the same building as those that have a different dress code doesn't mean that individuals on the other floors aren't being pressured as well....

The most interesting thing I've found about this entire conversation is:

The question should be Is it worth trying to do? not Can it be done?

Have you answered that question pertaining to the dress code?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back