Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

BUS SPEED DIFFERENCE 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

medford420

Technical User
May 9, 2001
US
If I have a motherboard that supports 100/133 Mhz bus settings, and a CPU that has a max Front Side Bus Speed of 200 Mhz; will there be a problem?

Thanks,

medford420

Sounds like a socket A board and a Duron or 200fsb Athlon.
Set to 100fsb.
133 when used with 266fsb Athlons/XP's . Just trying to help, sometimes falling short, I am only human after all.

Tell the group more specifics like the exact model number of the motherboard and the exact type of processor. Likely someone will have seen it before. If you do not like my post feel free to point out your opinion or my errors.

I just did some quick background checking. If you have a CPU rated for '200mHz' then you have a AMD chip. The FSB actually runs at half the 'speed' quoted for the chip - AMD claims '200mHz' because it transmits and receives data on the up and down side of the clock pulse. The normal is on the down side only. So it effectively doubles the data rate - that where they get '200 mHz' from. You get '200 mHz' of throughput on a 100 mHz clock pulse.

Set the motherboard FSB at half the 'quoted' CPU FSB speed if the motherboard doesn't set it automatically. Your mileage may vary...

dinosnake,

That's some good info. You hit "how it works" right on the money.

One thing to add is that although the actual clock cycle is running at half the speed (100MHz "double-pumped"), both the CPU and FSB have to be compatible with each other. In other words, there are FSB's that only work at 100MHz. Then there are other FSB's that work at 100MHz and 100MHz "double pumped". The CPU can't work at "200MHz" if the FSB doesn't understand what's being thrown at it.

The other part of the question was whether the CPU would work on a standard 100/133MHz FSB mobo...it depends on the make/model and most likely does.

Here's an example configuration for an Athlon:
ck_blk@yahoo.com

Thanks all for your helpful information!! It has been very useful.

medford420

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back