Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Burning on two CD drives at once

Status
Not open for further replies.

jimoblak

Instructor
Oct 23, 2001
US
I may be producing 200 CDs very soon and am looking for a way to speed this up.

I currently have a 24x drive that uses Roxio Easy CD Creator Basic. I am considering adding a 52x drive with Nero so that I can burn on two drives at once.

Would there be any problem running Easy CD Creator and Nero at the same time on two different CD-R drives? The source hard drive and system RAM seem to be capable of pushing the data. Has anyone tried this before?

- - picklefish - -
Why is everyone in this forum responding to me as picklefish?

Haven't tried that before. For large volumes, it is best to get a CD-burner tower that can make multiple copies of a CD in one take. If that's not within your budget, perhaps someone else can say whether your idea will work.

~cdogg
[tab]"All paid jobs absorb and degrade the mind"
[tab][tab]- Aristotle
[stpatrick2] [navy]For general rules and guidelines to get better answers, click here:[/navy] faq219-2884

I agree a tower would be the way to go if you can. As for 2 cd's at once, I have never tried but it seems like it would eat up allot of system resources trying to mutitask 2 burns at once. Probabley very likly to get some bad burns I would think. But, again never tried it. If you decide to go for it let us know how it works.

I think that it's better to use 1 burning software installed on 1 PC.
With the new burnproof recorders you won't have bad CDs because of low sytem resources.
And if it's just a one-off project you can finish it in around 5-10 hours (at 24x-48x speeds) even with just one recorder.

I'm heading back to the idea of just one 52x burner and acting like a mindless disc jockey for a workday.

Halfway through the day, when my brain is fried from boredom of switching discs, I'll show the management a catalog for mass CD duplicators and suggest we invest in one.

- - picklefish - -
Why is everyone in this forum responding to me as picklefish?

After looking at it more, the regular, full version of NERO will let you burn to a maximum of 4 burners on one PC at once. It has an option for "multiple burners. The "max 7" is additional software to increase this to 7 burners.

Jim

Hi All
What machine are you on? I assume that you will burn a CD and then retrace and make a cd image to burn from? That would be the surest way to make good cd's Keep in mind that most burner are on the secondary ide cable normally set at master. Unless you have quite a bit of gusto in the machine or the burner had one heck of a buffer overun protection it will probably have trouble giving you perfect cds. The secondary as well as primary can only pass so much through the bus. I would go for the fastest burner you can afford with the most builtin buffers.

An eight minute burn times 200 disks is over 26 hours by the way.....

There are many third-party duplicating shops that would burn a run of 200, including labels if you choose, at a very reasonable cost.

I would send this out to experts.

Just 1 thing Numbnortel,
I burn a 700 MB CD at 24x in 3,5 minutes,that makes less than 2 minutes at 48x...

temporello,
Actually no. Burning at 48x is not twice as fast as burning at 24x. The reason is that burn times vary depending where you are on the disc. On the inner portion, burn speed is a lot slower than on the outer portion. A 48x rating is just the max speed at the outermost edge of the disc.

This is just an estimate, but I'd say that burning at 48x might be 15-20% faster, not 100%.

But yeah, your point is well made that it won't take much more than 3 minutes on a decent burner.

~cdogg
[tab]"All paid jobs absorb and degrade the mind"
[tab][tab]- Aristotle
[stpatrick2] [navy]For general rules and guidelines to get better answers, click here:[/navy] faq219-2884

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back