Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Burning CD's - Arghhh! 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

pikk

IS-IT--Management
Jan 23, 2002
CA
Here's a head scratcher...or maybe it's just me. I have an XP system (professional) with an LG 4120 DVD-CD/RW drive. No problem to drag and drop files and write them to cd. Works like a champ. However, my buddy has an XP Home version system with and LG 4230 DVD-CD/RW drive and I cannot for the life of me...make this work! Everytime I try and drag and drop files in Explorer...I get the most bizarre error..."Incorrect Function"! What the heck is that?Has anyone seen this or know what to look for? It's driving me nuts! Drive installs beautiful, the Roxio software burns with no problems, I can read any cd but as soon as I put in a blank and try to copy files...nada!

Please help.
Thnx

Well maybe his cd burner isnt working or installed right i dont know i have xp home and i have never had a problem burning.

Here's the thing with the Easy CD 5.0...it updates the windows drivers for the burner. The "Send To" function does not seem to work well once 5 has been installed on most PC, although I have seen it work a few times. Try to uninstall ECD, and then go to device manager and remove the burner from the profile, then let Windows find it again, at this point you will have the drag and drop option back, the reinstall EDC, and it 'should' function correctly...also make sure you have all the patches for it, as it can cause a problem if not, you must do them in the order that Roxio states, if not, you will get more problems. For what its worth, Nero works flawlessly with XP, if you have that available to you. The basic problem with ECD and XP is that there is a basic version of the software built into XP that can cause a conflict between the one that MS installes with the OS and the retail version. I had an entire Saturday into this when XP first came out, and I found that even when it was installed correctly, it didnt function as well as it should, but it did work.

-Mat

I thought you had to format a CD-R or CD-RW disc in DirectCD before you coud drag & drop??

Is DirectCD installed on your friend's pc? Try using that to format a disk first...

~cdogg

"The secret to creativity is knowing how to hide your sources."
- A. Einstein

~cdogg

With XP, you can just drag and drop, no other steps necessary.

-Mat

Here's a link to MS discussion of the error message and what to do about it...

There are also another set of links to troubleshooting the issue.

And speaking not from experience but from having searched on the subject...nucomat's experience is common and his method of a fix is consistent with what I've read.
There is a patch on the page I referred to that's for Easy CD Creator 5.0 (probably the one nucomat's referring to)

The link to it leads back to Roxio...and Roxio says Basic and Platinum are supported...and the link you provided Sesask, also has the patch for Easy 5.0 lower down on the page.

Thanks to all who replied. The conflict problem makes perfect sense. I run the full platinum version at home and it works fine.

Thanks again

PS. I'll post again when get it working.

Pikk

Microsoft should not have even included a burning program in the OS to begin with. I too have had hella good times with it conflicting with Easy cd and Nero. Although I finally got Nero to work great with XP, it should not have been so difficult. For awhile, I was cranking out 1 coaster for every 3 cds I attempted to burn. If they wanted to give you a burning program built in, they should've given the user a fully featured product and the ability to COMPLETELY
uninstall it if you chose to. Been wanting to get that of my chest for a while now. Thanks :)

I too will say that Nero is a better choice for file cd creations and I also like the uncluttered Explorer style interface (much the reason i still prefer the older Adaptec before it became Roxio =) but I have heard a little better for Roxio when it comes to Music CD creation =(

Maybe Nero has gotten better in the last few releases =) They have a FULL 30 DAY [not 30 uses!] demo featured on their site:

- Cheers!

Hi,

Pikk here again. Well, I did find an update to Roxio on their site although I have not had a chance to install it yet. It all makes no sense the more I think about it. Real bad idea for Billy's Crew to try to get into the cd bruning business. They should have left well enough alone. Although it's a neat featuee and all...I and most people I talk to, can live without it. From what I've figure out thus far...if you want the drag and drop feature and sue Roxio...go with the Platinum version and all the latest updates. This worked on my own pc but as I said...I have yet to give this a whirl on my friends system.

Updates to come! Thanks again to all!!!

Have a great day!

PP

Well guys and gals, Longhorn will also include built in DVD burning, what fun that will be!

I'm off to my support group meeting now...

spacecraft.gif

pikk, I installed the update, and it usually works well now. But, when you do it, before you run it or re-boot you must delete a win file. If you don't you get bombed. I'm not sure which it was (no joke; it's been months) but believe it WAS in the directions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back