Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Burning CD - Troubleshooting 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

11design

Technical User
May 27, 2005
US
I hope I am in the right Forum. I tried to burn some files but only few were saved. The other ones still remain in the memory waiting to be burned in a new CD. The point is that I am trying to burn and is telling that those files cannot be deleted. By the other hand I do not want them showing everytime I open a CD. How to I get rid of them??? I tried deleting temporary files, deleting by itself, copying to the desktop, but nothing seems to work. Any ideas???

I am not understanding your question to well. You tried to burn a cd and it said cant delete the file? When you burn a cd your not deleting anything your making a copy of it onto a disc. What files are you trying to get rid of? Please reword your questions and make them as clear as possible. Include as much detail as you can and we will assist further.

When you open the cd via my computer you should have a menu option "Remove files waiting to be written to CD"

David Lerwill
"If at first you don't succeed go to the pub"

Electronics freak. It's weird but seems to me that what it means is that when I burn a cd the files to be burned appear lightly and one by one they can be seen very well on the CD side. I think it means deleting from the waiting list.

dwlerwill: That was is happening I am trying to remove and tells me that it cannot be deleted because I am using the file. Then it's asking me to close the program and try again. I tryed many many times and nothing. I even hut down the computer but nothing.

Try Safe Mode (Do you have this problem in Safe Mode?).

Try running ChkDsk to check your drive for errors. Right click your Drive icon/ Properties/ Tools/ Error Checking.

How to troubleshoot issues that occur when you write data to a CD-R or CD-RW Optical Disc in Windows XP

What is the CD drive letter, has that changed since burning?

Have you a Reg Key and value you like this in existence?

HKEY_CURRENT_USER \ Software \ Microsoft \ Windows \ CurrentVersion \ Policies \ Explorer
value of NoCDBurning.

Some more MSKB articles about the Staging Area and the file "Cd burning stash file.bin" .

Description of CD-ROM Recording in Windows XP
Description of the Staging Area.
To facilitate CD recording, Windows XP uses a staging area to store the data for recording, which is located in the following hidden folder:
Drive_letter:\Documents and Settings\username\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\CD Burning

In addition, the information in the staging area is copied to a monolithic disc image file before you record the data. By default, this file is named "Cd burning stash file.bin" and is located in the root folder. You can change the location of the file in the CD recorder Properties dialog box.

The "Write to CD" Option is Available While Copying Files to the Staging Area
The process of copying large amounts of data to the CD-ROM temporary files area may take several minutes. During this time, the option to Write To CD is available and can be clicked. However, if you click this option, the CD copy operation may not succeed and may create an unusable disc.

Files May Be Lost During CD-ROM Creation if You Drag and Drop Files into the Staging Area
The write functionality of the staging area is not disabled after the CD-ROM creation has begun. Because of this, any data that is written to the staging area after the CD-ROM creation is started will not be written to the CD-ROM and will not be saved after the process is finished because they were not included in the list of files to write to the CD-ROM.

Create Shortcut Command Is Missing When You Right-Click and Drag an Item in CD-Burning Staging Area
The items in the Staging Area are not the actual files to be copied. They are shortcuts to the files, which are actually stored in a different location. Making a shortcut to a file in the Staging Area would just create a shortcut to a shortcut.

Cannot Copy Files to the CD-R/CD-RW Drive
This behavior occurs because the IMAPI CD-Burning COM service is set to Disabled. By default, the IMAPI CD-Burning COM service is turned off in Windows Server 2003 because this service is not considered a critical service on a server.

You will have to look up the articles mentioned to see more than the supplied precis.

InCD from Nero has been known to be a problem in various ways in XP.
To Clean up after InCd you might need this tool from Nero.
InCd-Cleantool_1140.exe

Linney,

How are you able to do the below? I have NEVER seen this "Error Checking" command nor have I been able to bring it up by just now righ-clicking on the drive.

"Try running ChkDsk to check your drive for errors. Right click your Drive icon/ Properties/ Tools/ Error Checking."

Thank you guys I will try one by one but seems that it's already working. I have only two more to work on!!

Gyula,

If you right-click on the drive icon for any hard drive it will bring up a menu which includes a Properties item.

From the Properties page you will be shown a image of the free space on this drive and an option to run Disk Cleanup.

Along the top of this page will be several tabs including one called Tools.

If you select Tools it will bring you to a page that has the options to perform Error Checking, Disk Defragment or Backup.

If you click on the Error Checking tab it will allow you to run Check Disk (ChkDsk). There are two boxes to tick one to check for bad sectors and one to automatically fix errors. Normally you would check both boxes, this is the same as running ChkDsk /r from DOS or the Recovery Console.

If you don't have the above options when right-clicking a drive icon, start a new thread and state what you do have and people will try to help you.

When this icon shows in your task bar.... right click and open the files.... it then show: files redy to be written to CD.

on the right hand side click : delete temporary files..

done>

Frank Smith irc.dhcnetwork.com
gunslinger.gif

SomeWhere in Kansas Near Dodge City

Don't ask what the problem was. But everyday I was starting my computer I tried to delete one file. One day I had succeded and the other not. I just tried again and finally I deleted the the last one. Since I am not expert I have no idea what the real problem was. Anyway I loved your explanatiuon and were very helpful. By the way my right shows the Properties and not writing and deleting files.

s0121,

Let's forget the heavy stuff for a few minutes and allow me to ask how do you do that shootin' cowpoke?

With all due respect. Have you upgraded you version of Nero?

Please let us know if the advice we give is of some help.
Feedback will benefit all
Dave

Beer4meok: I have no idea what are you talking about. I canm't see your name and advice on this post. Also I have no clue what Nero means......

Anyway to the others the avice was very helpful and not only this but they were easy to understand.

Nero is a burning software, I think beer4meok was thinking you were using nero , although as from what im seeing your using windows xp built in burner not nero. He was simply suggesting if you were using nero update it. However I dont think you are so if you arent using it just dont worry about that.

Thanks for the explanation. Since I don't know that much about computer and his name wasn't there I assumed he answered in the wrong post. Terrible mistake....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back