Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Burning an ISO image, help!! 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stealer

IS-IT--Management
Jul 5, 2001
US
Hi All,

I found a company called command central that makes a free virus checker (for Fat32 & NTFS) that you can download. The download is an ISO image for making a bootable cd rom.

Their instructions, found here..

do not seem to work

If anybody is interested in also downloading the iso image and trying, here is the link,...

I am not very familiar with ISO images and thought somebody here would most likely know more than me.

Thanks for any help.

Stealer

I could be wrong, but I don't believe XP's built in buring functions can be used to burn an iso. You'll need Nero or Roxio to do the job. I recommend Nero.

Hi smah,

I have access to Windows ME with Nero installed. I can burn the image (no problem) but it is not bootable. I can make the cd bootable by using the files on a windows floppy disk and then the cd rom will be bootable but then there is no way to start the virus program since it is a ISO image and not an *.exe. As you can see I am pretty lost here.

Thanks for the help.

Stealer

yes you can.........burn the iso with nero and then download "winimage" (fully working trial) it will open the program just as if it were boaght on disk.

good luck.

According to the website, this image should be a bootable cd. Just to make sure, from Nero, you did burn an 'image' picking *.iso as the type, correct? In other words, you didn't just copy the single *.iso file to the CD - if you view the burned cd with explorer, you see many files & folders, not just 1 file.

Hi Smah,

Yep I burned it as I *.iso image. I used every option that Nero had including ...
ISO level 1,
ISO level 2,
Relax ISO restrictions, Yes and No
Joliet, checked and unchecked.

However I burn it I only see the one file on the burned cd.
I have wasted enough time and cd's on this project.

papalazarou,
I did download winimage and was able to see the files inside the iso image. But I did not know what to do with them.

Thanks for taking the time to respond to my call for help.
Stealer

In Nero, cancel all the wizards until you just have the nero screen. Then select File, Open, from the drop-down list select Image Files (*.nrg, *.iso, *.cue), then select the file & burn.

Sorry, that may not have been quite right. The last word should have been Write, not burn.

Another way is: open Nero, cancel the wizard, File, Burn Image, note Image Files (*.nrg, *.iso, *.cue)are selected for you select the file & Write.

Hi Smah,

Thanks for helping. It still will not work. I maybe using an older version of NERO. Version 5.5.

you said...
note Image Files (*.nrg, *.iso, *.cue)are selected for you

I don't have any options that have all 3 listed. Just these.
nri
nra
nrm
nre
nrv
nrb
nrh
nru
nrg
nhf

If I double click on the ISO image file and choose NERO to open it, NERO gives me an error message "unexpected file format"

Sounds maybe like I need to get a upgrade?

Thanks again,
Stealer

Stealer,
You are doing nothing wrong. Not all .ISO images are compatible with all burning software. I've downloaded some in the past that didn't work with either app.

How did I get around it? You've got a couple options. My most reliable one is Fireburner. This app will read .bin, .cue, .iso files, you name it! It's not very user-friendly and takes some time to get used to, but it does the job. The downside is that it's not free anymore. You can go here to download a free trial:

If you search around on the net or use fileshare networks, you might be able to find an older version of it that was 100% free. Or, you can try to find other apps like ISOBuster which will let you extract all the files out of the ISO to your hard drive.

~cdogg

"The secret to creativity is knowing how to hide your sources."
- A. Einstein

Hi All,

Burning this ISO image is turning out to be more trouble than it is worth. The only reason that I wanted it was so that I could boot and scan a drive that was formatted with NTFS. Anybody know of any virus software that will boot from a floppy or cd rom and be able to scan an NTFS drive? For now I am giving up on this ISO image. Thanks to all who tried to help. Everyone have a safe and healthy holiday season.

Stealer

you can search and download a program named "ntfspro",It will enable you to find NTFS drive in dos mode.

ISORecorderSetup.msi

Is an ISO recorder power toy for winXP (freebie). It can be found at:

It adds the ability to record and create ISO's using the winXP built-in cd recorder via a right click on the ISO file. It even claims to make ISO from cd's...though I havn't tried it!

I tried it with the ISO for the virus scanner and it worked. I used a cd-rw with an old HP 9100 cd-rw recorder. Give this a try!

Cheers

Well I am extremely happy to report that I finally got it working with LOTS of help from all of you!

braddds
Your idea of using that power toy worked GREAT. So easy when you have the right tools.

Nothing every seems to come easy. After I got the cd rom working I wanted to make a set of 4 bootable floppies also. So I followed the instructions in the read me file on the cd rom. Seemed easy enough but of course I got an error message. Something about the file dos4gw. So I took a shot and found the file on the web. Pasted it into the correct folder and low and behold I got the floppies working also!

I feel like giving you all a star but the star in this case goes to braddds!

Thanks again

Stealer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back