Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Burner Doesn't Read/Write RWs

Status
Not open for further replies.

RWild

Programmer
Nov 14, 2003
US
^ Topic. I was talking to a friend last night and she mentioned this problem to me. She said she can burn CDs but nothing happens with RWs. I have no clue on what her problem can be...anybody have any suggestions or tips?

Thanks in advance

Go to the manufacturers site and look for a firmware update or try a different brand of disk.

Andy.

Did you ask her specifically what she means by "nothing happens". Usually there is some kind of error message or prompt to "insert disc".

Perhaps she is trying to use CDRW's to make music CD's, which aren't playing in her standalone CD player. Could that be what she means by "nothing happens"?

More info would be nice:
1) version of Windows
2) make/model of burner
3) brand of media she's using
4) name/version of burning software

~cdogg
[tab]"All paid jobs absorb and degrade the mind"
[tab][tab]- Aristotle
[stpatrick2] [navy]For general rules and guidelines to get better answers, click here:[/navy] faq219-2884

She may have gave me a reason, but I was somewhat tired...so I probably forgot, when I find out more information I will post it.

CD-R can be burned with no problem through burning software...

CD-RW have to be FORMATED or prepared for usage as Read Write Media...

Ben

Another thing make sure she isnt finishing the disk as i find this stops me changing the data on it afterwards even if it is CDRW. I leave it un-finished and just make sure the pc's i put it in all run with a DVD/RW or CD/RW

BigBadBen & noellees1,

Just so there's no confusion, CDRW discs can be burned using more than one method. Both of you are referring to the same one where you format a CDRW so that it acts like a floppy drive - you can erase and add data on the fly.

However, another method involves the use of burning software. Like a CDR, you can also burn music or data to a CDRW. The main difference is compatibility. For example, music CD's are normally burned to CDR because they are more compatible across standalone CD players. But the point is that you could use a CDRW disc if you really wanted to.

Just wanted to clear that up...we need to know exactly what she's doing!

~cdogg
[tab]"All paid jobs absorb and degrade the mind"
[tab][tab]- Aristotle
[stpatrick2] [navy]For general rules and guidelines to get better answers, click here:[/navy] faq219-2884

cdogg - thanx, there might have been a misconception on my part, due to the facts that I don't use RW media at all, I see no point in it (CD-Rs are so cheap now)...

the other possibility that comes to mind is just that the drive in use doesn't like the CD-RW in use... in this case the drives Firmware should be updated...

Ben

PS - RWILD - it is a good practice to have the Adaptec ASPI drivers installed, as most burning software do use them...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back