Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Burn data cd

Status
Not open for further replies.

edmb

Technical User
Feb 5, 2003
US
Running sco5.0.7. Want to burn CD of data files in "/data" directory periodically to replace tapes. cdrecord -scanbus yields: scsibus 3: 3,0,0 300' LG ' CD-RW CED-8080B ' ' 1.04 ' Removable CD-ROM .Not all filenames conform to 8.3 format. Think it takes two commands to do: First "mkisofs -o cd.iso /data"; then "cdrecord -v speed=-1 dev=3,0,0 cd.iso" or similar. Note: CD-RW is actually IDE in hwconfig.
When doing mkisofs it is changing many filenames to conform to 8.3. Any help greatly appreciated.

I do a backup with edge to /backup/current using compressed via cron command.
A later cron command does a
mkisofs -L -l -r -v -o /backup/burnfile /backup/current.
Then even later another cron job does
cdrecord dev=2,5,0 /backup/burnfile

It has been a while since I set these up so don't remember where I got the details.

cdrecord -scanbus yields 2,5,0.

In 5.0.5 there is an /etc/default/cdrecord file with cdrw parameters stored, device, speed, and buffer size.

Ed Fair
Give the wrong symptoms, get the wrong solutions.

Why not to try to make from /data one big cpio file and backup it. If needed restore the file from media and then cpio will restore all files with exact names. I also make many tries to restore long names, but no luck.
cd /data
mkdir /tmp/iso
find . -print | cpio -ocvmd >/tmp/iso/data.backup
mkisofs -o /tmp/iso/data.iso /tmp/iso
cdrecord .... etc

no problem the procedure is long. In any case of automated backup it needs to prepare some script.

Thanks for help. Handled the long names and, since files were all caps, did not have a problem with case.

Handled the long names
Could you please explain the members how you did that ?

Uh, oh. Just burned two CDs to check. Using the mkisofs command as edfair suggested produced: lower case, no "dot" at end of "plain" filenames, no underscore at intermediate dots. I saw 9.3, 6.5, 8.3.3, 14 (plain) and 6 (plain) file names in the proper case with periods as appropriate. Without the -r option produced:
underscore at beginning and intermediate dots, all CAPS, periods at end of "plain" but long and short names were presented. I'm using cdrecord version in maintenance pack 4 (5.0.7). Note: have not restored these files to see if they come back. The result was produced by burning the CD, removing, reinserting, mounting, and changing to /mnt and using list commands. Sorry for the detail but I'm a real novice.

Yeah, they will come back.
The -r is to allow the "rock ridge" attributes and names up to something like 40 characters.
Haven't dug into what it all means, just far enough to get CD replacements working in place of 500mb tape drives that no longer have capstan rollers available for replacement.

A google search for "mkisofs documentation" will get enough info for the switch settings and what they mean.

Ed Fair
Give the wrong symptoms, get the wrong solutions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back