Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Bulleted format in In-Design

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nellissima

Technical User
Aug 13, 2007
GB
I'm a new In -Design user. So far I've sorted most of my problems using two books and the Help notes.

However, I've hit something I don't understand now. According to the book instructions, I shold get options for bullets and numbered lists in the paragraph palette. However, that option doesn't appear in the drop-down menu in my paragraph palette. Not only that, bullets and numbers aren't listed in the help anywhere in the software I am using.

I can get bullets by importing already bulleted text from Word and creating spaces manually, but this doesn't feel very impressive. Thanks in advance for any suggestions. :)

It's in the bullets and numbering section which you get from the 'fly-out' menu - not from the contextual (right-click) menu. In the Paragraph window, click on the little triangle at the top right. Choose Bullets and Numbering then list type - bullets. Click Add and choose the bullet points you'd like to have in the menu from the fonts you have available - in other words you can have a bullet point from a different font and at a different size from the text in the bulleted paragraphs.

Thanks for reply. Trouble is, when I click on that little arrow, the menu that appears doesn't include a bullets and numbering option. I know it should (because it appears in the illustration in my book) but in my version it's not there. Could I be using some ancient version? Or could I be going potty? H.

What version are you using?
And what does appear in the menu?
(sorry for misunderstanding the query)

Mkae sure you have a text frame active. Then go to paragraph window - flyout. Bullets & numbering should be the last item down.

Using OSX 10.3.9 on a G4

Alas, Marcus, I think you must be right. I think I've got an older version. The items in the pull-down menu conform to what my book tells me should be there, but no bullets.

I'll live without bullets for a bit. There are Other Ways.

Meanwhile, I'd better learn to use this baby. If I think it's worth it, I'll have to pay for a personal updated copy. I think I thought the bullets would arrive with the updates but maybe it doesn't work like that.

My menu includes
Shop options
Adobe Paragraph composer
Single Line composer
Align first line to grid
Balance ragged lines
Justification
Keep options
Hyphenation
Drop caps and nested styles
Paragraph rules

And that's all.

Thanks for your support, guys. Nell

How old would your version be? If it's CS (3) or above, bullets are supposed to be there.

You might have to trash your preferences. Corrupted prefs is the single biggest reason for problems with Adobe apps.

Using OSX 10.3.9 on a G4

I think it's CS2. Is that very depressing? I don't know whether I've got any preferences yet, but if I had, I'd be prepared to trash them. In fact, I quite like the sound of that! Nell

This feature is in CS2...

Are you running a demo version???

Bullets.gif

Marcus

No, I'm not running a demo. I installed the full Creative Suite. But my drop down menu doesn't look like yours. As you can see, it stops before yours.

Mysteriouser and mysteriouser.

When I go back into work, I'll check how it works on the college macs where I'm employed -- next week. If their menus look right, then I'll know something somewhere is amiss with my installation. In which case, I may have to wipe it and start again I guess.

Thanks.

This might sound silly - I'm sure you've thought of it - but is it possible that the menu is low down on the screen and the monitor is set up so that somehow the bottom of the flyout menu gets cut off?

To see what version you're running, go to About InDesign.

Try trashing the preferences?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back